Thursday, April 28, 2005

Why I hate laws:

Because they're generally stupid, that's why. Moses brought down some decent enough laws and I try to abide by them. When I was younger, the wife coveting thing was a little difficult, but seems to be getting easier as we all get older.

The crap that really burns my hide are the ones commonly called "nanny laws". The ones passed for our own good that serve no good purpose in real people's lives but put a serious kink in mother nature's efforts to cull the herd via natural selection.

If I choose to do, or not to do, something that is good or not good for me, well, LEAVE ME ALONE. As long as I keep it out of your yard. And no, stuff that hurts, kills or annoys others are not OK. Examples:

  • Drunk driving on the highway. NOT OK.
  • Buying contact lenses without first visiting the extortionist, I mean optometrist: OK
  • Smoking in an elevator: NOT OK
  • Having smoking bars or resturants (much the same as the concept of gay bars or vegetarian resturants): OK
  • Selling herion at school: NOT OK
  • Selling Coca Cola in school: OK
See, this is pretty common sensical in my mind. Just live and let live.

Now, I already think we are way too regulated at home. Too many people getting offended over too many little things and imagined slights for starters. Too many lawyers and lawmakers for another. Now they have found yet another way to piss me off. Here, copied right off of CNN dot com:

Last September, the Treasury Department Office of Foreign Assets Control tightened its prohibitions against U.S. citizens importing or consuming Cuban cigars. Even Americans licensed to bring back up to $100 worth of Cuban goods are no longer allowed to include tobacco products in what they carry. The regulation also noted that Americans are barred not only from purchasing Cuban goods in foreign countries, but also from consuming them in those countries.

I mean...WHY?? Personally, I think Cuban cigars are over rated and over priced. But if I'm in Colombia, or Hong Kong, or South Africa, drawing on a tall cool mug of the local draft and decide to enjoy a cuban cigar from the humidor in the corner, you won't know it. So how is it enforceable? And why do I have to break the law to do it? Laws should stop at the border. Period.

And another thing, dagnabit. If keeping hard currency out of Castro's hands is the goal, and it seems to be, then what, pray tell, is the economic difference between bringing in $100 worth of pillows or $100 worth of cigars? Seems to me to be in the same vein as the old riddle: Which weighs more, a pound of cement or a pound of feathers? People, what am I missing here?

Street vendors sell cuban cigars in Cartegena. Coffee shops have tables on the sidewalks. I have enjoyed the warm afternoons and pleasant evenings in Cartegena. Now I ain't saying I did anything illegal, but I ain't saying I didn't either.

Gleg, out
Travelin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I hear ya brother...It doesn't make any sense to me. Have you ever watched the Citcom of George Lopez? I have to admitt I like the fellar. Well his Father in Law(father of his very beutiful wife)on the show is Cuban and walks around blaming every little thing on Castro. Goes on tangents about him while throwing his hands in the air and pointing at the sky. Don't get me wrong, I don't like Castro no more than anyone else, but, you wondering if that law was a pandering to Cuban Voters. Nothing against Cubans.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home