Sunday, June 26, 2005

Born fre-e-e-e, as free as the wind blows......

I don't want to say I'm stupid, though the theory certianly has it's proponents.

The Gunner got me to thinking about comma usage and that has me all paranoid now. I played it off in a comment on his blog, but I use the heck out of commas and now I'm all self-conscious every time I hit the key. I'm trying to cut down and maybe appeal to the lowest comma denominator.

The car broke down 3 times this week forcing a dilema. Put money into a car I will junk in 3 1/2 weeks or go carless for 3 1/2 weeks. I could really care less at this point but the wife is scared to death she may have to walk or take a train somewhere. Of course, each time it broke down I was somewhere else, across town doing something when she'd need help. I walked and rode a lot of trains this weekend. Pooped me out. Worst time is described below:

Went to brunch at the Officer's Club and it was pretty doggone high falutin'. Before any of you say anything, they discontinued the brunch at the Chief's club and merged it with the one at the O'club, starting yesterday. Anyway, since I didn't have a car me and Tata (the girl in the pic I posted) and Haru walked to the O'club, then down to the exchange and then back to the train station. All in all a pretty far trek in the heat. I was sweating good. So I ride the train back with them and get off at Higashi-Zushi station. Now there is a train station right outside the base, but it's a different train company. I would normally take it but wanted to ride with them and figured to splurge and take a taxi home. This train company let me off about 2 km from home, which is still an initial fare cab ride. But, I waited 20 minutes AND NOT A TAXI TO BE HAD. ANYWHERE. That's unheard of over here. So I had to walk home all the way from town in shoes designed to look good but not hike well. My dogs were dead, my shirt soaked through and I was so tired. I just wanted to hit the A/C and sit. 3 messages on the machine, "Car broke...come now...hurry!" Guess what? I still don't have a car. Luckily, by not finding a taxi, I at least have train fare for an unexpected return trip. So I grab a big couple gulps of Gatorade (the thirst quencher..is it in me? Yes, it is now.), change into some less fashionable but more forgiving shoes, and start walking back to a train station. Basically the whole weekend went a lot like that. Kinda sucked if you don't mind me saying.

Now the Appalachian Intellectual is finally home from the Emerald City and I can look forward to him posting again. I always call him a mountian troll, just 'cause he lives in TRANSYLVANIA County, NC, but really he's pretty cool. He posts pictures from the mountians that take me back to growing up in NC. He was gone 3 weeks, seemed like 8.

I'm just killing time right now. After some first minute dealing with the mechanics at the AutoPort, which is our ONLY source of auto mechanics for hire so you know the prices are fair and the service comes completely attitude free (yeah...right) I'll post from work. I'm leaning towards another Riegelwood story, but we'll see. Those are pretty labor intensive even if I do make it look easy.

Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home