Friday, August 21, 2009

I was walking down the street wearing glasses when the prescription ran out

This is what a typical maintenance class of mine looks like. That is my machine, and these guys will work in airports maintaing them. That is the training area of our factory.



Every time I called the Turks into the lab, I would stick my head in the door and shout, "Team Istanbul, you're up." I also gave the middle Murat his nickname, Murat the Elder.

Interesting sign. It was in Covington, KY in a trendy little area right along the river. You were sitting in quaint old pubs, in quaint old buildings looking across the river at the giant, shiny buildings of Cincinnati.






Am I the only one who immediately thinks "gates of hell" when they see this? Satan will see you now, please remove your shoes and and empty your pockets.


I absolutely LOVED the town's water tower. I mean seriously, how can you not?









I just can't help but think that the Commonwealth's officials did not think it through when naming this state park. State park in 20 miles, snickering for a good 12 of them.
Been in Northern Kentucky all week and have thoroughly enjoyed it. First of all, it takes about 2 1/2 minutes to get on some of the prettiest backroads I have cruised in a long time. I hopped on US 127 South here in Florence Y'all and just meandered along, seeing where it might take me. Well, it didn't take me through many towns, but with the windows down and the roads free of traffic, I somehow found myself in Frankfort.
In Frankfort, I discovered I was on The Kentucky Bourbon Trail. I assume it meanders along through several different cities, as I know the distilleries are in numerous different KY towns.But in the 2 or 3 mile stretch I was on, I was able to see the Buffalo Trace Distillery and Four Roses Distillery. Buffalo Trace was a beautiful old building right on the river.
Everybody here has been ready to shoot the breeze and I have had some great, lazy afternoon conversations. Sure keeps life interesting. I was in a place yesterday, and when I walked in, everybody was glued to the large plate glass window, staring out at the road I had just turned in from. A chicken had crossed the road. Then hung out at the bus stop. And was now in a bank parking lot with a man trying to catch it. He finally gave up, sat and watched over the chicken until reinforcements arrived. First a man showed up in a Cadillac, got out, and guarded the chicken from the other side of the parking lot. Then a lady drove up in another expensive car, got out, stomped over to said semi-free range chicken and just snatched it up. She got back in her car with it and drove off.
The boys in the joint sat and talked about the chicken and it's adventure for the rest of the 45 minutes or so that I was there.
I have enjoyed some of my favorite foods. That I had forgotten were some of my favorite foods. I have had fried bologna with applesauce on it and I have had fresh blackberries. Mom used to make me fried bologna when I was a kid. I always liked how it turned into a little meat cup when fried. Then I would fill that cup with applesauce. Mmmmm. Good stuff.
Went to a place called Skyline Chili because it was one of those local flavor things, and if you travel, you should always try as many of the local things as you happen to run across. I had a coney in a steamed bun, covered in chili and piled high (I mean REALLY high) with grated cheese. I had spaghetti, covered in chili and piled high (I mean REALLY high) with grated cheese. I had fries, covered in chili and piled high (I mean REALLY high) with grated cheese. As a firm believer that anything is made better by the addition of cheese, I found myself in the unfamiliar position of actually removing some from my meal. There was that much. I will probably be stopped up for a week, but when I finally do go again, I half expect it to come out covered in chili and piled high (I mean REALLY high) with grated cheese.
Got my suitcase packed. Am headed home directly from class and it is time to go down for breakfast, turn in the rental car, and think about heading in to work.
Remember, an opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it. Out.
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is only one opinion--mine--but I have thought about it. I'm REALLY concerned about my #1 son's cholesterol level with all that cheese. His other unhealthy choices,resulting in an ever-expanding wasteline (intended) as well. You're not as young as you used to be,dear. I reprimand because I love.

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home