Friday, April 29, 2005

Stop. Oh yes. Wait a minute Mr. Postman.

I have been out of the country a while. I'll admit it.While I do know all about Desperate Housewives and Robert Blake, there are a lot of things happening in the shadows that I am unaware of. Confusing things. Disturbing things.

I have to ask you, are the woods gone? Have all the trees been removed, replaced by Starbucks and Home Depots? Seriously, I don't know.

See, I ask you that to ask you this. What's up with Smokey the Bear!? You know, the sexy bear in jeans and no shirt, and that cool drill seargant hat. Well, he used to get all sad/serious and let you know, in that Barry White-ish voice of his, that "Only YOU can prevent forest fires." Remember that, right?

Is that what he says now? I'll answer that. No. It is not what he says now. Now he says, "Only you can prevent wildfires." What does he know that I don't know?

Get back to me.

Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Tree's do still exsist in some corners. Open spaces are becoming sprawling parking lots for Wal Mart and Grocery Stores. You will see a tree planted on a island in the parking lot.
But, Seriously, the Forest Service has changed it's attitudes about Forest Fires, at least in part. After total fire suppression for so long they found the woods a box of tender. Montana, Arizona and Florida had some doozies of fires over the last few years. They admitted mostly due to fire suppression.
I live right here where the Forest Service got it's start and I can't remember the last time I saw Smoky. How long you been gone, anyway?

3:36 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

1. Yeah, all that is true, but... It's Smokey the Bear. Maxwell House is "Good to the last drop", Allstate is the "Good hands people", and Smokey warns about FOREST fires. Does it sound the same if Morton Salt said, "When it rains it stll discharges from the can."?

2. We get all kinds of weird commercials on American Forces Network. Smokey is one of many.

3. Florida tends to burn in places rife with Yankees. I think the state is trying to rid itself of dangerous parasites.

Travelin' Ed

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home