Monday, May 16, 2005

Who the heck knows...

....why I think of these things.

1. Wally Cox on the Hollywood Squares used to crack me up. Paul Lynde, on the other hand, always seemed a bit creepy to me.
2. I never cared all that much for Styx. Wanna guess which (rock) band I've seen the most? Yep, three times. Although to be fair I've seen Blue Oyster Cult three times also. They were cool. BOC, that is.
3. Guinea pigs are fairly boring pets.
4. We used to let our 2 hamsters run free in the den when we lived in Riegelwood, NC. In fact, the pampered little rodents even got a pickle jar lid of ice cream when the rest of us had a bowl. The golden hamster ate his right off, but the teddy bear hamster actually took his first lid of ice cream back to the cage to save for later. He woke up with his butt all sticky and didn't ever do it again.
5. I poured gasoline down a bee hole and lit it. I figured that since they had built a nest right in my prime fishing area (our back yard was on a lake) they might as well die. That is the afternoon I came to learn that there is always a second bee hole. Those mean little suckers stung me up good before I figured out what had happened and then chased me all around the yard, flailing and screaming.
6. If you drive straight up I-15 to Poway from San Diego, instead of going SD to El Cajon to Ramona to Poway, it really isn't that far.
7. Sports is a lot easier to watch on TV. Well, baseball is OK live...too bad I'm not a baseball fan. Anyway, football live has a lot of standing around that you don't notice at home 'cause you're watching beer commercials. Basketball just moves too fast and you can't tell who fouled who. And if you're seated next to Terry Holland, as I was at a UVA game once, there's too many people coming and going to even have a chance to watch the game.
8. Honeycombs was a pretty good cereal.
9. If you ever watched the TV show ZOOM! growing up, you'll never forget the zip code for Boston, Mass. Oh-two-one-three-four. (But you have to sing it)
10. Johnny Quest was the best cartoon going. But that idiot dog Bandit was a pain and kept getting Johnny into hot water. And I never really understood what Haji brought to the table. But those giant mechanical spiders were the best, were they not?
11. Ron Howard was a wild child in his early movies like EAT MY DUST and GRAND THEFT AUTO.
12. Remember getting into a car trunk to sneak into crap like MACON COUNTY LINE, BIG,BAD MAMA and WALKING TALL?
13. The chips in a pulpwood chip car are really, really warm. We used to go down to the rail road tracks and climb onto the cars. They were moving slow because they were headed into the paper mill yard. We would jump from car to car. It's OK, we were 14 so were were perfectly safe. I mean, everybody knows 14 year olds are indestructable. The chips are not, however, near as soft as they look to be.
14. If a cotton mouth can't bite you underwater, then how come they spend so much time underwater. No, I'm not buying it.
15. We had a game where everybody bought a 6 1/2 oz Coca-Cola (remember those?) and flipped the bottle over to see what city it came from. Whoever had the bottle from the furthest away had to pay for them all. That's why there was a map taped to the coke machine.
16. People always joke about yankees and grits, but try to get a yankee to eat a boiled peanut.
17. HAVANA DAYDREAMIN' & A PIRATE LOOKS AT FORTY are two of Buffett's most brilliant songs.
18. Pretty much everybody is OK one on one. But more than that, people are pretty hard to deal with.
19. Bell bottom denim jeans with patch pockets. Man, we were so cool.
20. I had a million of those little yellow disks you put in the hole of a 45 record so you could stack them on the tall spindle and play them as a group. I haven't seen a single one of them in ages.
21. Speaking of record players, a hamster can hang on for 16, 33, and 45 RPM but goes flying at 78 RPM.
22. I'm getting old.

Extremum, out
Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home