Sunday, May 15, 2005

10 things

10. DVD/HDD recorders. I like these things a lot more than VCRs. It makes travel in Japan a lot more tolerable when I can slip a week or two's worth of American TV onto a few disks and carry it unobtrusively in my luggage.
9. Petite cigars. Sometimes you ain't got an hour to invest in a stogie. These are perfect. Real cigars, only small. My favorite is the Macanudo.
8. George Forman grill. How can you not love this sucker. It's fantastic. Kicked the crock pot right off the top of the "Favorite Cooker" list. By a knockout (OK, how could I resist?)
7. Cell phones. As much as I want to dislike these things they are really very, very handy. And mine has freed me from being stuck in my hotel room when I travel, waiting in case I get a call from home. Thankfully, they are still just unreliable enough that you can turn it off and claim to have not had a signal and be believed. Then you don't end up yakking through a holiday bowl game or March Madness.
6. Skittles. I don't know who invented these suckers, but God bless 'em. Once I decided that they were so good I would sprinkle them in my homemade ice cream. Bad idea. I went to bite and get a flavorful burst of instant happiness and what I really got was a near broke off tooth. Seems the little fellers freeze up hard as pea gravel in ice cream.
5. Jelly Bellies. Ditto #6 times two! Except the part about the ice cream. The Skittles incident broke me of tossing candy in my ice cream.
4. AFN commercials. For instance, last night I learned that in 1921 the city of Zion, IL banned jazz music, citing its moral decadence. All you learned from your commercials was that you may have offending odors and it is also quite possible that you need a new Ford truck.
3. Orchids and ferns. I really like both of them. A lot. I'm going to grow them.
2. Vin Diesel. He's not really that good of an actor, is he? Nice guy, but I think better in non-speaking roles. (He's standing right behind me, isn't he...?)
1. Bacon in a pouch. Man, who thought of this? It's great, like sliced cheese. Building a bacon cheeseburger has never been easier. I just do it like I do Slim Jims and Livermush. I concentrate on how much I like it and try to pretend it's not made of the ingredients that it is. I mean I really like bacon, livermush and Slim Jims, so I'm pretty good at the denial thing. (And this from a guy that regularly has to cover his eyes during Fear Factor.)

Bonus question: At home, who gets to be the man? Ebert or Roeper? Or neither?

Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home