Thursday, May 12, 2005

NOT THAT YOU ASKED FILE # 53: The status of my face and butt

Hola, peeps. Well, the face is shaved and the butt's been washed, and, strangely enough, vice versa. So since I have 15 min before I head out to work I naturally thought of you guys. Actually, I also thought of you while I was shaving, too. What's more disturbing...I always do.

Originally, this post was to be named "Sempers Flare..." and was to be a take on those Latin mottos. Example: SEMPER BI: Always wondering. I only had two good ones, if we suppose that my example was good, so I yanked it. This blog is a QUALITY PRODUCT, made oveseas but with fine American craftmanship. And I will not publish crap! Very often. I will not publish crap very often. I hope.

You guys have been keeping me busy. Seriously. But you guys make me smile with your comments. That is why I will endeavor to respond to each of your comments. I once thought of cutting and pasting them to a post so I could be sure that you would see that I had responded. But that seemed a might redundant. So I will tell you here, if you made a comment check on it again later and you will find either a witty or a brainless reply. But you will more often than not find something.

OK, Last thing. This is a quiz. It will be graded but not timed. And no fair using the internet for research. That is why I took the liberty of installing the monitoring device/keystroke logger on your computer while you slept. And by the way, you breathe funny when you sleep. I also turned your socks all inside out. You knew something was different, didn't you. Just couldn't put your finger on it.
Me and my true bud DLE used to sing this song a lot when we were younger. We loved this song and FOLSOM PRISON BLUES. Although it was more like he sang and I just caterwauled along. So, your quiz today is to tell me who wrote and performed it. Hint: I've posted about this person before.
Side bar: Once we were writing songs beside a small lake in a park in NC, up near the VA border. Don't really know where we were. We just each drove (he from Coats, NC and me from Portsmouth, VA) to a highway exit roughly in the middle and looked for a park or something once we got there. That's how we found the lake. So anyway, he would play the tune and we'd sing a line, change a line, sing again. I think you get the picture. Anyway, a group (herd? stampede? flock?) of ducks paddled over from about 60 yards away. They came up on shore, waddled over to us and attacked us. Darndest thing. They got mighty pissy when we played and sang and just milled about looking sinister when we stopped. This is true!

PARADISE

When I was a child my family would travel
Down to Western Kentucky where my parents were born
And there's a backwards old town that's often remembered
So many times that my mem'ries are worn

And daddy, won't you take me back to Mulenburg County
Down by the Green River where paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

Well sometimes we'd travel right down the Green River
To the abandoned old prison down by Avery Hill
Where the air smelled like snakes we'd shoot with our pistols
But empty pop bottles was all we would kill

And daddy, won't you take me back to Mulenburg County
Down by the Green River where paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel
And they tortured the timber and stripped all the land
Well they dug for their coal til the land was forsaken
Then they wrote it all down as the progress of man

And daddy, won't you take me back to Mulenburg County
Down by the Green River where paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

When I die let my ashes float down the Green River

Let my soul roll on up to the Rochester Dam
I'll be halfway to heaven with paradise waiting
Just five miles away from wherever I am

And daddy, won't you take me back to Mulenburg County
Down by the Green River where paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mr. Peabody's coal train has hauled it away
--Who wrote me??????


I DON'T KNOW. -Jeff Spicolli

Adulterine, out
Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So maybe I am the only one who pays attention to the artists that get a mention here but I am betting that this is a John Prine song. I cant imagine Ryan Adams singing this and the language is too clean to be Drive By Truckers. Plus John Prine is known to have a political voice now and again. So that is my vote. And all I got to say is God Bless Coal Miners!!!!!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

sk, good job! Do I need to call you Dick Tracey, or is the Tracey unecessary?

I did think of the fact that y'all are coal people after I had already posted that. But it is such an awesome, simple song. Anyway, other than stupidity, I'm not real anti- anything. At least not much.

Ed

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home