Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Puttin' the WHY back in country



Red Headed Girl

I went down where the land meets the water.
Sun was crazy in that summertime sky.
I was chasing that red headed woman.
See, I followed her down here and I don't know why.

Heat was dancing on them oyster shell driveways.
Smell the bayou's laying just past the trees.
She bailed on Mobile with me right behind her.
Like a shot through Biloxi, and over to New Orleans.

She was restless like a cat gets at midnight.
She was moaning like a mean woman do.
I turned my back, she slipped into the moonlight.
Got the heart of a gambler. The soul of a gypsy too.

She don't have any stake in the future.
She don't got any ties to the past.
Didn't want nothin' that I had to give her.
The worst time she gave me's the best time that I ever had.

I went down where the land meets the water.
Smell of crawfish as they're hitting a boil.
Smokey night, 'bout the color of whiskey.
The buzz can't replace what she don't do for me anymore.

Cold, blue steel of my .38 pistol.
My silent friend riding right by my side.
She can run to the streets of New Orleans.
She can run if she wants, but that red headed girl cannot hide.

Ed
Townsville, Australia headed to Guam

3 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

I was really loving this and then got to that last stanza-whoo, that is a new twist on Ed poems-wicked to say the least. I loved the line about the Smokey night 'bout the color of whiskey though. I really liked it all.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I'm really all cuddly like a teddy bear. An evil, wicked, gun-toting teddy bear bent on revenge. Bwaaah haaa haaa.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Actually, the truth of it is I was newly divorced and cinderella liberty had gotten in between me, a young Australian lady and what was sure to be an oft told sea story. As you can see from my geography tag at the end (my own invention so's I could keep track of places) I was at sea, in transit between ports.

So, to put it in the strong language it will take to make you fully apprieciate my acute frustration, I was pretty miffed at the time.

I thought it came together quite nicely. And now you know.....the rest of the story. Paul Harvey. Good day.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home