Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Mmmmmm.....coffee

Just sitting here in my PJs, and yes, I find PJs quite comfortable. They're not binding or prone to crawling up in places that would prefer to remain fabric free, if you know what I mean. And I suspect that you do. These are green, though I also have brown and blue. I have a pair of electric lime green Caribbean Joe's, but the wife mutters unkind things way too often when I wear them. So, anyway, my point was really meant to be that I'm sitting here. In the morning. Drinking coffee. New Orleans style, with chicory. (I hope N.O. is still there. Will have to check.)

Got home from playing cards with mom last night and I had a message from an old navy buddy from Japan. He now lives in Ocean Springs, MS and his place was getting smacked around good by Katrina. Pascagoula was getting 118 MPH gusts, and Ocean Springs is just 4 or 5 miles away, so I know it was plenty crappy at his place too. I've mentioned him here before. He's the one I call Joe Mama. The one who drove us to New Orleans in a Porsche.

Anyway, his message sounded like he was plumb beat down and needed a friend. Said he was in Southern Georgia and would be for a while. Please give him a call back. I tried for 1 1/2 hours last night and have been trying again this morning. I get one of the following everytime I try: WE'RE SORRY. ALL CIRCUITS ARE BUSY; BUSY SIGNAL; SERVICE IS SUSPENDED DUE TO A HURRICANE IN THE AREA. If I ever get through I'm gonna try to make him come down here so's I can put him up and maybe make him feel a little better. If I am your friend then there's nothing I wouldn't do for you.

In fact, let's play NAME MY FRIEND. Here's how it works. I'll post a photo, unretouched for sure, and a little story about how we met, crimes we've committed, hangovers we've shared. Whatever. You have to tell me who they are. It's easy, sleazy. Readysetgo!

NOTE: OK, I was not clear. Several people have thought these were for real people. I'm looking for Speed Racer, Mighty Mouse, etc. as answers...if you answer at all. It was just meant to be a walk down cartoon memory lane. I guess the little made up stories I attached to each one threw you guys. I made it all up. I just wanted to use the cartoon pics and write some silly stuff to make you laugh.



This one is easy. We used to cruise Roppongi together looking for Swissair stewardesses. I hate sake. It tastes like badger piss and you'll never convince me otherwise. No, don't even try. I had a little 2 oz sake glass one night and just couldn't finish it. I wanted to because it was my birthday and this was a part of the celebration. But I couldn't get past the smell, the taste and the mental image of it's journey from badger kidney, down through all kinds of badger plumbing and into my glass. Homeboy here was right by my side through it all. Laughing and calling me wuss. Who is he?


OK, this here is my fashion muse. He turned me on to fine fabric, braces (suspenders to you heathens), bow ties, and accessories, such as an oh so jaunty bowler hat. I went to my first tailor with him. He guffawed when the inseam measurement left me wide eyed and shaking. We are tea drinking, National Geographic reading, librarian chasing, high class buddies. Why he's even a celebrity, albiet a B-lister for sure. Name this gentleman.


Well, home slice here autographs all of his pictures, so if you can't get this one then kill yourself. You're too stupid to live. Sorry, that's harsh, but life's tough. My bud here taught me to drive a stick and how to use the line, "Hey, wanna see me do something fast?" as a most effective pick-up line. He was trying to teach me how to be handsome and slightly dangerous, but I came out more slightly handsome and accident prone than anything else. I did use the "Wanna see me do something fast?" line, and got a little conversation out of one of those fine looking race queens. Made her smile, too. It was pretty cool. A start, anyway. She smiled and this is what she said to me,"Um, no, little man. Please...be off." Yeah, not much, but..... she DID talk to me. So, who be he?


Another one that will either be easy or hard, depending on if you know him or not. This was my sensai when I studied the martial arts in the Chinatown section of Cedar Rapids. He was lightning quick and wise beyond his dog years. He wore his karate robe with pride and dignity and was always happy to illustrate the fluid, cat like moves inherent in good karate parcticed right. We were impressed, no doubt about it. We took up a collection the third week, and humbly presented it to him with the suggestion he might use the coinage to buy a set of karate shorts to go with the robe. Identify the sensai.


OK, Speed Racer was pretty easy. But I'm gonna make this one easy, too. One of these people is my old high school buddy, school skipper extrordinaire, the girl with the illegal smile..THE RED QUEEN. Your assignment, should you decide to accept it, and by all things that are good and holy you should, is to identify the other friend in this yearbook photo. I'll give you a small hint: His first name is not Carl, nor does it rhyme with Carl (She said, "Carl, take all the money." She called everybody Carl.). Good luck. Name that personage.


This is Wally Cox, if he were a superhero. And this dude, is without a doubt one of the most underrated superheros going. There's no need to fear when he is around. I met him when he was going through a rough patch in Waukegan, IL. His second wife had left him and taken the pups (she was a bitch), his arms were small and stick like, making it difficult to be taken serious at the superhero job fairs, and he had begun to rely just a little bit too much on the Old Style beer to help him lubricate the wheels of a disappointing life. We wrote some really good, really tear jerking "she done done me wrong again" songs. But soon I was off to sunny San Diego to join a ship. We lost touch for a while. But one day, there he was bigger than life, in the Macy's Day Parade. With strings coming out of his butt and ears. Like he always said: "Whatever it takes." So c'mon. Give me a name.


This was my next door neighbor when I was a kid in Erie, PA. Well, up two floors and one apartment over. But close enough that I can say "I knew him when". You think dynamite comes in small packages? Well, bucko, you are so right. He was a dynamo. He had a destiny. He'd look you right in the ankle and say, "I'm gonna BE somebody." I never doubted it for a moment. The only suggestion I ever made was that maybe he didn't want to wear such flamboyant underwear.Or wear it quite so tight. Or on the outside of his pants. But of course, he did not listen. He never listened to me. Said I was always talking down to him and would start to get short with me. Ah, well. It's moot now. He made it work. He's world famous and I'm studying to be an insurance salesman. What's his name?

OK, that took a lot longer than I expected. Hope the effort was worth it. I live to make your morning. Now you know a little more about me and my sometimes amazing, always entertaining friends.

Ramblin' Ed

4 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

Im thinking that you totally blew everyone away with this quiz. Every feel like you studied all night and now ya know you musta studied for the wrong class cause I dont even know who "not carl" is although I do have a TAD bit of an idea. It was certianly interesting reading and I am wondering if you are gonna fess up to who these people are and how you gonna do that when you dont name names????? Hmmmmm
Maybe you shoulda worn the other pjs today.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

OK, I was not clear. Several people have thought these were for real people. I'm looking for Speed Racer, Mighty Mouse, etc. It was just meant to be a walk down cartoon memory lane. I guess the little made up stories I attached to each one threw you guys. I made it all up. I just wanted to use the cartoon pics.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Nope. Not even at a homeless shelter wearing meatloaf pants.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Mmm meatloaf pants. . . There is a mental image I NEVER wanted to have. And while we are on that topic. I mean have you ever really tried honest to goodness badger piss. How do you know it doesnt taste good? You cannot just assume these things without a little study. And while we are on that topic. There was this great little coffee shop in Burton and they sold a drink called a Badger. It is potentially an dmost probably my favorite coffee beverage ever. Mmm Badger. -Jn

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home