Saturday, August 27, 2005

Moving on

I suggested to a friend that we could drop worrying about a big story that, if you think about it, isn't much of a story. I believe it would have died some time ago if all "right minded people" would have just yawned and moved on instead of stopping to hurl continuous invective her way. That just helped turn a small human interest story into "news". I swear, we Amricans just love to have our politics all dramatical. I am, of course, talking about Sheehan and her ever growing entourage.

Now, as I think back on this and other recent events, I realize what a repetetive game it is that we play. We seize on an emotional, push button issue, choose up sides and expend great energy promoting our spin on it while expending equal or greater energy exposing the other veiwpoint as dangerously idiotic. This is my parody of a network newscast:

Our top stories today, Troops are going to be in Iraq another 16 years, Mars appears to have broken orbit and may be hurtling towards us, and Ted Turner wore a t-shirt that suggests he doesn't agree with George W. Bush. Let's explore that T-shirt story in depth. First, a report from Connie who is standing by at "Let's Anihilate the Idiots" world headquarters. "Sir, what do you think about today's developments?" "Well, Connie, it's a grave, grave situation, this Turner thing. I think if he don't agree with me he should be deported. Painted an ugly fuschia color and deported. We just gotta change the laws to allow the deportation of citizens who just don't 'get it', paint 'em all fuschia and deport 'em. Kill 'em, paint 'em and deport 'em. It ain't like they ain't got it coming."

It seems we don't get issues...but we got issues.

I finally got down to the La Cubana for a cuban sandwich. It was so worth the wait. I love those things. And Red Queen, would you believe that Babe's pizza is still open? I just told the wife that that is our next meal out.

Brothers Grimm was a pretty good ol' movie. I din't fall asleep through it, which is pretty rare. I was a bit put out at the price of a Slurpee, but the...well you all know about the looney state of movie theater prices.

Last night must have been national Blue Haired Children night. A lot of the girls were either punked or gothed out for the movies with hair dyed blue. You know, 13-16 year olds, dropped off no doubt, by their moms for Friday night at the movies. I got no problem with it. I wore a cowboy hat even though horses intimidate me a little too much to ride. It's all about their friends thinking they're cool and I'm ok with that. I think that ripped fishnet stockings look a bit slutty in the best of circumstances and am not sure they are all that appropriate for Junior High school students, especially considering all the child molesting lurkers Hillsborough County has produced lately (Jamie Lunsford was one of several to get national attention). But, since I am not their parents I suppose the decent thing to do is let the parents parent. I'm sure if they wanted my opinion I'd ask for it.

Well, I guess I've kinda wandered off my normal course. I'm headed over to see an old friend this morning anyway. When I come home I'll post a poem.

Ramblin' Ed

7 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If I ever get around to it my hair will be blue. I have been meaning to get around to it since sometime sophmore year but I have yet to find time and a boyfriend and/or boss that wouldnt mind both concurrently. This year might be the year.

7:23 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Please do not forget the slutty, orn fishnet stockings. The look should be complete if you're gonna bother doing it at al.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Oh Man, I woulda loved a cuban sam-mich. I still love the taste of true cuban bread although I cant get it around here. And face it good pizza lives forever.

I was gonna comment on what if I had been wearing skanky fishnets when I was 16 and darned if you didnt just suggest that to my daughter. whats wrong with this picture???

1:48 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I forgot you might be reading, that's what.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

I always did know that you liked my family more then most-ha

6:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I suppose if I did the hair I would at some point have to do the stockings which would involve some form of money which is just gonna make the wait longer because after I finally pay for books and food the next purcahse of note will be a hole in my nose. -Jn

6:34 PM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Murf- I am pretty sure that Ed being the gentle-man he is loves all females about the same and with his southern charm we love him back, shiny stuff and all.

7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home