Saturday, August 20, 2005

A memory once served me

I have an aunt, an uncle, 2 neices, a nephew and a sister all in from out of town. Some are from further than others, but all are from abodes far removed from our city limits.

Today is Saturday, as observed upon Ed's Kitchenian Calendar (the same one once followed by the ancient geeks) and I would like to do a second post today from the comforts of my living room. The one with conditioned air. Please re-read paragraph one to familiarize yourself with several of the reasons this may not happen. I suppose if forced to choose between family time and an additional post, well, let's just say that blood is thicker than electrons. So you don't really want it in your keyboard.

As I stated yesterday, what follows now will be of little interest to most of you. It's peices of stuff I wrote as a teenager But somebody wanted this posted. And by somebody, I of course mean me.



A memory once served me to keep track of time
but yours was detached along dotted lines

I thought about the girl on the picture in my wallet
but then I think about her all the time
I guess it's no exception on a ferry boat ride


Picture me a little man
A lonely man, a thief
Come to steal your heart away from you


There's a girl in Milwaukee
name of Janet DeNiro
Got a hundred love letters of mine
When I look back in time
Lord, it seems so unreal
Though I sent them each one at a time


Hard pressed for promises, baby.
Hard pressed for time.
And I'd hardly give a dime to do this over.

Baby, now it's over. Maybe now we can be friends.

If anybody says they ain't been down
Then I say they ain't been trying
And anyone can see just by looking back at me
I write these songs

Chester McHenry came back from the ocean
with four missing teeth and a parrot named Stan
An old wooden leg that he took off for sleeping
and a thirst for the rum that he never could kill.

Appease me. Release me. Or otherwise, beat me, I cried
For time will not stop when another young dreamer has died
Poets have spoken, but no one has heard
And your brother lies bleeding 'neath more misspelled words
And I, in my ignorance, beg that someday I can see
That, I concluded, exposes the depths of my schemes


Stand fast by your dreams, my young citizen,
else they will leave you

That's when I go sailing
on a sea of Annie's tears
a cartoon friend, and me, and sometimes rain


If old men were angels
Then I'd be in heaven
but I'm in one hell of a town
We ain't got no skid row
one street where the bums go
No, it circles the whole town around


If heartaches cost money
we couldn't afford them
Then what would we do with our time?

You didn't really think
that the words and the music would rhyme,
did you woman?
Especially after
You'd known me a little while.
Running around
like a tattoo in search of a sailor
I offered you the chance to go for a ride.

Think of me as promises
that never will come true


I called you here tonight to say
the daily news has passed away
we underscored, we understood
it had to be this way

The revoloution's timeless
your opposition spineless
your brother's in the trenches
with the other son's of bitches
preparing for the onslaught
no matter what they once thought
God has breathed his breath
on men awaiting death
and they sing Amazing Grace


I laughed at the puppets
til I saw they were real


Once I felt like a quarter to noon
hopped on the first train bound for the moon
the ride was too long but was over too soon
left me stranded in Rome with nothing to do


Though I can't really blame you for trying
dressed down like a peacock in drag


Though reddened eyes betrayed me there
I only then had learned to see
and in a voice obsessed with Poe
the madman deep inside me speaks

Jesse James is out there somewhere
burning out a desperate rage
surviving like a desperado
and dying like a man his age

Then in fear you rush the walls
pounding them in hopes they'll fall
mixed with blood and sweat you know
there's another foot of fresh, white snow


I carefully built up my sandcastle dreams
and used popsicle sticks for the floor
I knighted a sandcrab and sent him to save
the beautiful princess next door

There was a fellow in St Paul
said he was running from the law
and asked if I'd be kind enough to hide him


The days are getting longer
and they're not what they once seemed


Will you promise what you promised
when you promised that you never would leave me
Remember what was spoken
we were tokin', we were floating away




OK, y'all I've just scratched the surface of the stuff I want to chronicle. About 1/5 through the first part. I was a prolific little dude back in the day. I just have a need to see it again. I cannot fathom how someone who knew so little about anything really (me), could write some of this stuff like he was an old hand (me again). Or maybe I just give myself too much credit. And by the way, the way I write, just because a line is really good doesn't mean the rest of the poem around it isn't crappy. I can say that honestly and without fear of contridiction.

Reminiscing, out
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

When I get half a second to pull myself out of egocentric trip stories I will spend it and way more digging through those pieces. . . and well all the rest of the stuff that changed while I was gone like you not traveling anymore. -Jn

4:21 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Sometimes, Murf. But more often it was just me putting words together because I could. A lot of everyday stuff got manifested as "a woman" 'cause then it was easier to tell the story. Sorry, I'm really not that mysterious. Or am I?

8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home