Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Fed 'em on peaches

OK, I owe you. After posting a forwarded internet joke and calling it a post. Although you got to admit, the stoner koala was indeed funny. And I did hunt down a SCOTS video. I had originally put a video of The Black Crowes covering Dylan's Everybody Must Get Stoned in concert. But who wants to be Captian Obvious?

I am in San Jose, CA this morning and will be all week. Not thrilled about it but am nowhere near hari kari either, so I guess it works out. Still, I often wonder, why couldn't I have been born rich instead of good looking? Hey...it's a valid question.

So the new adventure begins at the corner of Dover Road & State Road 60. A small lake that seems a thousand miles away from the condos and Sonics and Tire Kingdoms that make up modern day Valrico, FL. We were in the boat, toting a) a 10 hp Mercury, b) a 40 ft lb trolling motor, and c) 2 paddles that we hoped would not be needed. We were to get soaked. 3 times. A quick side bar.

You may recall, a tropical storm named Fay soaked pretty much every square inch of Florida. As she was passing by us on her way up the East Coast, her eye just a couple of counties east, we got nothing. Not even drizzled. We had closed the plant, people had come this close to being evacuated from parts of our area. And there we were... doing yard work.

Now, just a few miles to our right, if you are facing north, they were getting 2 feet of rain. But not us. It was weird. So, on the day we went fishing, Fay was way up around Jacksonville, 4 hours NE of us. As the storm meandered westward towards Pensecola and Mobile, well that's when it decided to soak Tampa Bay. Repeatedly. And we just happened to get caught in it. Repeatedly.

Anyway, we were fishing between downpours and I flicked a yellowish crankbait up around a log, let it sit a sec, twitched it twice, then started bringing it in. I had retrieved it a few feet when I felt the hit and knew I had a good one. I had me one about 18" and I reeled it all the way up to the boat then stopped. G-Man, who can be excitable, wanted me to bring it in the boat, but I refused. Instead I let it play on the end of the line, tail flicking water on us til it finally threw the hook and swam off. "Why'd you do that?" "Because it was a gar. They're all slime and teeth. I didn't want it in the boat." If you've ever caught a gar and tried to take it off the hook, you know of what I speak. GAR LINK PHOTO / GAR LINK ARTICLE

I have lost rods to gar, as they tend to hit hard and I tend to be daydreaming. Just sitting there on the bank, warming in the sun, alone with my thought, then ziiip....splash....gurgle. Rod gone. Still, if I am boat fishing, and these days I usually am, if I hook a fighter and I get it near the boat, I look to see if it appears gar-ish. Gar-ish, like a fish, not garish, like a transvestite hooker. There is a difference, although truth be told, I don't really want either of them in my boat. Way back in the woods. All alone. Where no one could hear me scream. Not that there's anything wrong with being a transvestite hooker. They just don't go well with fishing. They are another story to tell entirely.

Buzzards watching me intently. Snakes in trees. Gar and alligator lurking beneath the boat. Fishing in Florida presents it's own challenges. Gotta love it.

Spanish Pipedream (AKA Blow Up Your TV)
© John Prine

She was a level-headed dancer on the road to alcohol
And I was just a soldier on my way to Montreal
Well she pressed her chest against me
About the time the juke box broke
Yeah, she gave me a peck on the back of the neck
And these are the words she spoke

Chorus:
Blow up your TV
throw away your paper
Go to the country,
build you a home
Plant a little garden,
eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus
on your own

Well, I sat there at the table and I acted real naive
For I knew that topless lady had something up her sleeve
Well, she danced around the bar room
and she did the hoochy-coo
Yeah she sang her song all night long,
tellin' me what to do

Repeat chorus:

Well, I was young and hungry and about to leave that place
When just as I was leavin', well she looked me in the face
I said "You must know the answer."
"She said, "No but I'll give it a try."
And to this very day we've been livin' our way
And here is the reason why

We blew up our TV
threw away our paper
Went to the country,
built us a home
Had a lot of children,
fed 'em on peaches
They all found Jesus
on their own

It don't make much sense, that common sense don't make no sense no more, out
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Figures Ed,

I am in Korea now, 3 days into a two week trip training Virginians. In Korea because they have the only training machine available. Enjoy the bay, or maybe up over hwy 17 to enjoy Monterey bay...

Pipedragger

2:49 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

We're at the Santa Clara plant working with the software developers to incorporate our lessons learned into the new WBI training software. It's not really all week that we're here. I arrived 5 PM on Monday and leave 6:25 AM on Thursday. I'm a writer, I embellish.

Flew into SJC instead of SFO this time. A lot less hectic and yet, a lot less modern. Still, it works for Santa Clara.

Enjoy Korea. Better you than me. Oh, and Cliff Bushman made Chief... FINALLY!!

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home