Sunday, November 22, 2009

If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you

Since the last time you stopped by:
1. New pump in the well.
2. Moved the fence without employing professionals.
3. Watched most of Season 1 of True Blood
4. Watched the cops arrest a woman who assaulted my wife.
There. You are now all caught up.

Headed for Reno this afternoon. Coulda sent another guy in the office, but I thought a trip to Nevada would be nice. Cost myself the Bucs-Saints game. Dangit Man! When will you learn to do your due diligence before assigning yourself travel??
I ordered one of thos Roku machines to stream Netflix onto my TV. The movies are free with your Netflix subscription, which I have had for years. Sometimes I watch them on my computer, but my computer chair is not 2 hours worth of comfortable. So I figured, why not? The box is small, about the size of a paperback, and it's a one time charge. $80 for the box and I already have the subscription.
Got my hair cut at a place called Lebowski's Hair Salon or something like that. I drive by it every day and had always heard it was an experience. So Friday, since I had the day off, I went there for my haircut. It is themed (loosely, I would say) on the movie The Big Leibowski. Here's the link THE LINK . I was going to try to explain it, especially the hurricane shampoo, but the article does a better job.
The weird thing about the place was getting in. First off, you can give the guy outside the door $10 and he will wash and detail your car while you're inside. I declined. When I got to the door, a guy at a side window stopped me and asked for $25. I could see nothing but a bright red and chrome door. It was all very much reminicent of gaining strip club access. "This is a barber shop, right?" "Yessir. But it's not your father's barber shop." (He repeated that line about 6 times to me, so I guess he's pretty proud of it.) I looked at the door, and him standing there expectantly, like some kind of mellow bouncer. "And when I get in, I will get a haircut?" "Yessir." So I paid and went in. If you follow THIS LINK , watch it for a minute. It's animated and takes a couple of seconds to get going. It's not a complicated site though, in keeping with the Lebowski theme.
The article explains it better, but: I was led first to the bar, where I chose a Budweiser. Then I was given a shoeshine, which made me thankful I had not worn my customary flip flops. No, I didn't think they'd shine my feet. I mean, the shine was part of the price of admission, so I am glad I got it. Then a young lady in flip flops and fishnets let me over for my hurricane shampoo. Then a quick massage (from a chair, not a person) while I waited my turn at the raised barber dias. Then a lady dressed as, I'm not sure but I'm thinking meter maid or something, gave me a MAN-icure and then a decent haircut. Price of admission + tips was around $35. I wasn't sure about tipping, so I tipped everybody just in case. No one ever got disapproving looks for tipping too often. Well, except from their wife.

If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong, out
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, I'd really like to see that $35 haircut! Have a successful trip and come get turkey leftovers on your return. We'll miss you. MOM

11:06 AM  
Blogger sage said...

Wow, sounds like you been busy. I don't have enough hair left to spend $35 on it.

I came over from the Appalachianists blog to see what you're doing in my old stomping grounds. I like Reno. Better yet, I like the area around Reno, having lived in Virginia City. The Tahoe drive is wonderful! So is a trip out to Pyrmaid Lake or up to Virginia City. Enjoy your time out there.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home