Thursday, December 09, 2004

Epitome & Reality: Bad punctuation and run-on sentences

I'm at work now, blogging to greet the new day. Life is good for now. I don't want to say exactly where I work because that wouldn't be cool. But you can figure it out maybe. Call up Pat Sajak and buy a vowel. My office is TH_ C_NT_R FOR SURFAC_ COMBAT SYST_MS. I repeat, buy a vowel.

Anyway, here I am, US Navy - Blue and Gold. I should be the epitome of your tax dollars at work. In sad fact, I am more the reality. I am more my reality. I am more a reality. Take as many realities as you want.

I was thinking that epitome is pretty cool. As a word. It spells out cool and has a nice feel to it when you say it. And it rhymes with reality, which I noticed when I was mulling this blog-to-be over in my head on the 11 km commute from Zushi to Yokosuka this morning. 11 km of just me, the big delivery trucks (well, big for Japan anyway) and my fellow Y-platers.

I was starting, as I often do, with the title and first few lines. In my head in a stream of consciousness sort of way that usually includes moving my lips while I think. While I think I think, anyway. I think.

I noticed how well the two words epitome and reality fit together and how they might work well in a song, if I ever decided to write (another) really boring song. Few other songwriters use the word epotime in lyrics. And likely for good reason. But if I am nothing else I am daring in my use and misuse of words. Dale calls me the alien boy playing with words, but I am not a boy.

Anyway, this has been, like I said, your tax dollars at work. I used to think it was my tax dollars also til I thunk and re-thunk it a little. I finally hammered out (or, as they say in Virginia, hammered oot) a solution I could deal with. It is thus:

1. They take your tax dollars. Or you give them voluntarily. Either way works.
2.They give them to me in the form of pay and allowances. (Yep, 45 yo and I still get an allowance.)
3. I pay taxes on that money they have taken from you and given to me. Or you have given freely, either way still works. But,....
4. I figure I haven't given them my money so much as I haven't been allowed to keep all of your money that was given to me. Basically you give them your money, I take it, then I give some of it back.
5. Then I file my tax return, and they give me back some of the money, your money, I had just given back to them.
6. You work hard for your money, I assume. I hope it is some small comfort to you to know that it gets so much mileage.

So there you have it. We were covering "Epitome" and "Reality". And now we're not.

Please, out.
Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home