Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Living life out to it's illogical conclusion.

Warning!! Danger Will Robinson!! I will probably reveal my political bent, and it may not be pretty. You've been toad.

If a kid doesn't go to school, the parent is responsible and can face repercussions. If the kid goes bad, the parent is at fault. Auto accidents, arson, underage drinking, smart aleck mouth...all parental responsibilities. If your kid is a hellion, an underachiever, an at risk junior, a juvenile delinquent... we scream to the parents, "Get on the stick! Do your job! FIX the problem!!!" I'll come back to this.


I cannot carry a child in my womb as I am pretty much without womb. I only possess what I think of as the fun parts. Not the ones that do the work necessary for making a little people. I'm not really-pro abortion, but neither am I anti-abortion. For several reasons. One, it doesn't particularly apply to me. Two, I don't believe anything is black and white. There are reasons to keep a baby, but I think there are just as valid reasons for not. And, not to be too flippant, but if the pro-life stance is carried out to the extreme, wouldn't mastrubation be denying "perhaps the next Einstein" a chance to be born? Well...I'm pretty sure I ain't producing the next Einstein, but you get the picture. And anyway, I may instead be denying the next Jeffery Dahmer the chance to be born. So still, it's a crap shoot. Third, everybody doesn't make good parents...yada, yada, yada. You've heard all the pros and cons, I just wanted to get you on this train of thought. Because it's a serious matter that deserves more serious discussion and less impassioned fanaticism. And less bumper stickers. Bumper stickers are not serious discussion. And DEFINATELY less bombs and bullets.

OK, back to the original point. Parents are responsible for their children's actions. So why in the world would it be correct to contact the parent if a child is truant, but not if she's pregnant and getting an abortion? What is the logic behind that? And, in my humble opinion, she should be afraid to tell her parents. And if her and her parents are ok with a child having a child, well then I feel that the pregnancy itself isn't the biggest problem in that family. I'm going to stop here. I don't suppose to tell people what to think. I just want them to think. I think we screw up our priorities a lot because we don't feel comfortable talking about our differences. It seems much easier just to shout down anyone who disagrees. Or shoot them down.

Now the light stuff.

I had fun yesterday. See, there are a lot of Japanese nationals working on base, plus more than a few Japanese spouses working on base. So you tend to deal with them a lot. They are all educated, well spoken, polite and competent. But, the fact remains that they are Japanese. So they tend to take things literally, at least at first. It takes them a couple of beats to realize when they're being messed with. And I do it so naturally and with such a straight face, I can almost hear their gears a'grinding as they try to process what I've just said. That's the set-up.

Yesterday, anytime a Japanese national said anythig to me, such as, "Cash or credit card?", "What is your work phone?", or "When will you be available to come in for a dental cleaning?", I would get a slightly...and I mean slightly...perplexed look on my face and say, "Huh? Oh, Nissan. I drive a Nissan." It was hilarious. The look on their faces and me just looking back at them as if waiting for the rest of the question or something. I've said it before and I'll say it again...I CRACK ME UP!

Flexural, out.
Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Hi, Ed,

I think you raise an interesting point that I like to argue everychance I get. When faced with the "that child could be the next president" talking point, I always raise the "could be the next Manson" counter. It's usually successful, much to their dismay.

According to their logic, we are all murderers because we release gametes that are potential Einsteins.

11:56 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, you are right. That is a duoble standard in our society. Will we ever get ourselves straight?

2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home