Monday, May 23, 2005

Snimativ, uh-huh.

Friends, Roam ins, and County Commissioners. Lend me your ears.

Let's talk vitamins, shall we? I take a supplement every day except weekends. I don't want to over do it. And that whole "daily" vitamin is more of a suggestion than a directive anyway. I take the vitamins with additional minerals. Kinda strange that adding all those minerals doesn't make the pill larger, but it's the same size as vitamins alone. Weird. I take what they call the Men's Formula Daily Vitamins with Minerals. Or as I like to call them, "Vita-mans".

I do not buy Centrum and I also do not buy One-A-Day. Or any other national brand. I buy Navy Exchange brand. $2-something per 100 count bottle, or just under $8 per year. I want good health, but I'm not fanatical. I'm Scots-Irish. And here's my reasoning.

Vitamins come from plants. You know, fruits, vegetables, and probably flowers and weeds too. I think some come from the sun, although just how that would work escapes me. And maybe you can get vitamins from animals, but again I'm not sure. So, as my hero Calvin says, "I don't know, but I refuse to find out."

Minerals come from rocks. I thought maybe tree bark, too, but now I think tree bark is more a delivery system for vitamins and roughage. But regardless, I'm pretty sure about the whole rocks give us minerals line of thought. So that's where we'll leave it. Minerals are from rocks. And the body doesn't need uranium, so we won't even bother with that.

So why buy the cheapest vitamins(with minerals) available, you ask, attempting to get me moving along. Because when it comes to plants, rocks, perhaps sun and maybe animals, how much better of a source can one company have over the other? Think about it. Can Centrum get better rocks than the Navy Exchange? Probably not. Plants is plants is plants and like it or not, we all get the same sun. Now I suppose there could be a discernable quality difference between animals, but we're not completely sure that animals are even a part of this equation, so I find it is more convienent for me to just ignore that angle.

Now let me take a moment to recap and let you slower ones (you don't know who you are, but I do) catch up. The ingredients have to be pretty similar from one brand to the other. This I believe. So, with all other things being equal, buy the cheapest.

There you go. Expert advice for a better life. I live to make you happier. It's OK, don't thank me.

129 & wu. Oh yeah.

Yagi, out

Travelin' Ed

7 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed, Your Vitamin and Mineral run-on reminds me of how many people I know tease me. It seems I'm the only one who sees the illogic in joining the grocery store clubs. You know, "on sale now, 20% off with your ____ club card!" Now, the item is on sale for the same 20% off that it was a few years ago before this club card crap. So why make us go through the inconvienence of filling out the paperwork so you can sell our personnel information to some other marketer, when its the same savings as we've been receiving for years?

What is: "Yeah, but the card is free, Alex!"

Whatever, I'd rather eat out anyway.... Pipedragger

7:36 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Well, Mr. Dragger. Or is it Mr. Pipe?

I think my father said it best. When I was young he passed on two pieces of advice that have serverd me well. I think he was fairly wise and although he was an engineer, he never got very far from his simple roots. One of the things normally is only applicable when there's prostitution involved. But the other I think is quite useful in this particular situation. "Son," he'd say, "we're surrounded by idiots."

And as for why make you fill out information they're only going to sell...so they can sell it, fool!

8:52 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

This conversation reminds me of two differnt things. "Everybody knows the world is full of stupid people..." from the Refreshments. and this more serious article
http://www.defense-and-society.org/fcs/comments/c532.htm

12:25 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

The Refreshments were a wise band and that's refreshing, you know.

Heading off to the recommended article now.

Travelin' Ed

12:53 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

And while on the subject of maintaining good health. Have you seen this one, sunscreen is BAD for you!

Sunscreen Article

6:32 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

OMG! Well, it seems the only "safe" activity anymore is to stay in your room in the bed with the covers pulled up tight over your head. That is if it weren't for the fact that keeping yourself in the dark will kill you...or make you vote green party.

Ed

2:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ah yes and you need the sun to make vitamin D so there we are back at the root of the problem. Oh well. - Jn

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home