Monday, June 20, 2005

One (of two) intentions fulfilled

I drove home yesterday and in this morning listening to old Conway Twitty (and alas, we all know there won't be any new Twitty anymore) and I had forgotten how good his songs were: Fifteen Years Ago, Georgia's Pulling on my Ring, Suspicious Minds, Hello Darlin', and, while Tight Fittin' Jeans is in no way, shape or form of the same caliber as those other songs...you still sing along, don't you? Heck yeah, I know you do. I do too. Loud and tunelessly but with a whole lot of white bread soul!

I have always liked this poem. I especially like the tag line I used. It's appropriate for me.

Behind the Curtain

The sun came up without me
and silently it danced into my room.
This woman laying here's my new best friend,
But Lord, I hope she's leaving soon.
I'm just left here holding nothing but my breath
And it comes ragged as the truth.
I drank whiskey hard to chase you off
But I can't seem to get away from you.

I chased the lights like summer nights
beyond the ocean, down the dusty highways.
I've lost my heart so many times
That I've seen love up, down, acrossed and sideways.
I never gave a damn for your two cents
Or anything you thought I might be.
And I laughed at you as I walked off. . .
And that's my story that I'm sticking to.

(chorus)
Said if you're good you'll end up lonely.
**
Well I went crazy just the same.
And all these friends that brung me nothing
But different potions, different pains.
There ain't a whole lot worth remembering
Not too much I carry 'round
I'm the voice behind the curtain
So you can't see me falling down.

A cheap hotel off Sukhumvit 19
Is just as good a place as any.
To let your mind hang out a while
'cause people here don't try to mind your business.
I write so many letters to explain myself
But I ain't sent you any.
Like you care. . .like you remember. . .
Like I do like it was only yesterday.

(chorus)
And if you're good you'll end up lonely.
That ain't me but I'm still blue.
And all these friends who brung me nothing.
So I followed them from you.
There ain't a whole lot worth remembering
Not too much I carry 'round
I'm the voice behind the curtain
So you can't see me falling down.

Ed
Okinawa


** This was the slogan for a bar called THE BACK PORCH down in the US Virgin Islands. I forget which island, or what the name of the city was, but if dropped off in the harbor I could walk straight back to it. Most of the Caribbean was unimpressive and I tend to forget a lot of the particulars...other than it was more expensive than it was worth. (Except Aruba)

T-t-t-that's all for now, folks

Byplay, out

Travelin' Ed




3 comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Ah yes. The city was Cruz Bay, St. John, USVI.

I'm old, but I'm slow.
Ed

4:34 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

The Conway Twitty song I liked the most was "Making Beleive". I was turned onto it because Social Distortion did a cover of it on "Somewheres Between Heavan and Hell". For the longest time I wondered who had done the song and my Ex(and her mother) told me it was Twitty. No way...nope that's not Twitty...that song is too cool. Then I heard it over the Country Classics on the sattalite and sure enough it was Twiity. Well, I reevaluated Twiity. Hope everything is glorious.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

As glorious as one can hope for, AI. Hurry home.
Ed

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home