Monday, August 01, 2005

Cattleford, FL

I may not be exactly right on the name, but way back in the early 1800's present day Jacksonville was a place where cattle could cross the river. And it was known as Cattle Ford, or Cattleford, or some variation thereof. No, don't thank me for that info, thank Armed Forces TV commercials. It was also the East Coast port that moved the most military cargo during the first Gulf War. Thanks, AFRTS!

I am in Jacksonville/Cattleford, FL as I type.

I have on my uniform again today. I could probably muster out in civvies, but who knows. Besides, being in uniform between 1100 and 1300 usually gets you head of the line priveledges somewhere. And that, my friends, ain't nothing to sneeze at.

We came up here in a rain squall of epic proportions. The more Nong is here, the more she finds the place like Thailand. She even thought she saw two elephants near the BP station, but turned out to be just a local couple out to buy a six pack.

Yesterday we swam, cooked bratwurst and steaks on the grill, smoked cigars and alternately told "remember when we...." and "now the navy sucks because..." stories. Oh yeah, I should mention that the guy I am staying with used to be my boss 2 years ago when he was Officer In Charge of my detachment in Yokosuka. I was his Senior Enlisted Leader and all of us (includes wives, kids & shih tzus) were good friends. Still are.

I shall venture forward in about 20 minutes and try to locate this mythical place, Jacksonville Naval Air Station. If I find it, I will start my out processing. If I do not, I shall find a Krispy Kreme and eat doughnuts. Either way, I accomplish something good and pure.

Let's back up a sec. I always thought bratwurst was one of them Wisconsin/Illinois things. You ate brats and cheered for Da Bears. Never bought any, preferring to grab the package of Looz-ana hot links next to them instead. But I must admit, grilled up toasty, with some condiments and hot sauce on them, the was pretty good eating.

I think I can account for all of my pals today. One in PA, one in Peru (I think), one each in NC and KY, one in the SF Bay area, and one in N. FL (If I count myself as a friend, and I do). Plus there are some drive-by dudes that I can't really speak for.

We have been listening mostly to country radio turned down pretty low because the wife has been talking a lot. But yesterday she started napping and I broke the car in properly by rolling down the windows, popping the sunroof and cranking the Drive By Truckers. It was perfect.

Ciao, peeps. Gotta go play navy.

Travelin' Ed

4 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

Wait till you try them brats steamed in a good dark beer- you will understand why they polka in Heaven.

I must admit that I am glad to see that you still have the truck- nice car and all but you gotta have a truck.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

PS. Jn leaves Tues 2nd for Peru. Sad that there will be no uplifting postings from her for about 3 weeks- and sadder- she is leaving with all the important stuff that makes my digital camera work.

5:58 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Saw the Truckers Saturday Night...Great show.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I leave tomorrow- late enough that I can still pop out a morning post if the spirit moves me. But after that everything important goes into the little magic book and has to wait until I am back to come gushing out. I figured cruisin up the amazon with some interesting characters and a piss-poor peruvian beer should put the muse in pretty good mood. -Jn

7:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home