Saturday, May 17, 2008

Alba Qwirky

You gotta love a town that you need 2 days to learn to spell. I'd get started, I'd get finished, it wouldn't look right so I'd throw in another "u".Yep, Albuquerque. Pretty place. If I was gonna be here a couple of more days I could go see Shooter & Charlie again. Yeah, Charlie Daniels' Volunteer Jam is headed into town. I'd go see Shooter again. And this time I'd buy a T-shirt.

I do have one and two thirds days off here before hopping over to Denver so I intend to cruise Route 66 for a little while and also possibly head towards, or even into, Santa Fe. It's all high desert and mountians, not so much condos and strip malls like I left behind. Maybe soothe the soul a little bit for a change.

Left my camera at home and that sucks! I knew I'd be in New Mexico and Colorado and I knew I'd want pictures. If I could get little Canon-san to snap off pictures using my telekinetic powers well,.... well actually I'd still just have pictures of a desk drawer.

Schedule has been brutal. Boston 2 days - home 1 1/2 days - Albuquerque 4 days - Denver 4 days - home 2 days - Dallas 4 days - Miami 2 days - then, hopefully, home for a couple of weeks. Here's hoping. I know I will be rewarded in the long run, but in the short run I'M TIRED. I have been on the road so much tht I am literally getting on planes and forgetting where they're headed.

OK, I don't forget the final destination, I just forget the transfer airport. I knew I was coming here and that the flight from Tampa was at 1340. I always have to get the paper out to verify the airline because I bounce between US Air and United like a bingo ball. So anyway, I guess United was having issues with a flight or something because a rep met me at the head of the line and asked me where I was flying to. And I just looked at her because, truthfully, I had no idea. I went for the paper and instead she asked what time my flight was. "One forty," I said. "Oh, then you're headed to Dulles." "OK." I mean, what else could I say. I knew Iwas flying to an airport to change planes and hadn't really paid attention which one, although if asked to guess I'd have said Charlotte or Philly.

I must have seemed "special", if you know what I mean, because she directed me to a self serve kiosk and offered to help walk me through it. "It's alright," I said with a smile, "I'm actually pretty good at this."

I am telling you, there is nothing for me to blog about. We road tripped out to rural Hernando County and bought a 9.8 HP outboard for our fishing dinghy, but so far all I have been able to do with it is hang it on a saw horse. I didn't even get to wipe it down, DRE did that. The fella selling the motor was way out in the woods and had a 4 year old son who, not once, not twice, but three times referred to me as a blockhead. Kinda cute, quite anachronistic, and after the first time, not particularly appreciated.

Well, gotta go get some free hotel chow, shave my whiskers, and head for work. Yes, I know it's Saturday but TSA, much like rust itself, never sleeps.


It's better to burn out.....
Ramblin' Ed
PS: I wrote this the next day, so I included it. Read it slowly, not quickly. It's more a lament than a ditty.
Rode 18 May 2008

Been on the road again
Nowadays it's another plane
City after city after town
Lights dance and call me here
Put the rental car into gear
Like it's gonna bring me up
or calm me down

In my hotel room
If I can tell the truth
Looks just like L.A. did, and Boston too
A sort of sameness, as it were
Of days that jumble into blur
And the cell phone's thin line
Holding me to you

Been working without end
Get some money more to spend
A hearty well done, son, now hit the road
Could you by the way
Swing out Vegas way
There's still money to be made
Stuff to be sold

Another hotel room
I gotta tell the truth
Could be Denver, could be Baltimore
Stucco walls and crappy chairs
Running out of underwear
Changed my flights again,
But I'm homeward soon

A tradeoff I made when
We needed money more to spend
I know I'm thinking what you're thinking too
A lonliness that fades to blur
A quietness that still disturbs
And the cell phone's thin line
Holding me to you

Ed
Albuquerque

3 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Well, Ed, he could have done worse by substituting "block" with "pot" or "sh*t" or "knuckle" or "bone" or "air" or "potato" or... you get the picture.

Actually, I never realized there were so many ways to combine another word with "head" . English, it's an amazing language.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoot Ed,
Been to ABQ many times, alway to the northwest of downtown, Rio Rancho, where Intel has a large chip manufacturing plant. You might have noticed the large mountain to the east, San Dias, which is 11,000+ feet high. You can drive up the back side for a great view of the valley below. Surprisingly, there are several things to go/see/do there. Let me know the next time your in town,
Pipedragger

10:31 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Dragger of pipes,
ABQ was nice. I got out of town north and into the mountians and west and into nowhere.

Solved the camera problem by buying a NIKON!!! CoolPix. I got by with getting another by telling the wife it was for her.

Last time I was nearby to you I was only in CA for 2 days during the week. But I will always give you a holler if I am passing through.

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home