Saturday, May 03, 2008

Out on a limb without a paddle

Gonna recount something that happens to me. Before I do, I just want to point out that I'm nothing special. And I'm not saying that you don't have the same experience. I doubt it, but I ain't calling you a liar if you say you do. Here goes.

I get coffee in my eyes a lot. I get it in my lap a lot, but that's from watching TV at 0400, in a recliner, with the coffee cup open and my eyes not really. Snooze then dump. But in my eyes, that's a little more inexplicable. Well, not really inexplicable. More inelegant. Yeah, that's it.
I use a travel mug. Lid off at home and lid on in the auto. It's my life and I choose to live it moderately dangerously. At home (or in the office) I'll hit me off a big ol' swig and pull the cup back down. It's a rather quick motion because I'm a rather slothful guy. The un-drunk coffee dutifully sloshes back down, meeting up with the coffee that never had a chance , and they collide into a little wave, with a sea spray-like effect that projects hot coffee into my eye. Kinda sucks, but other than being more careful, what you gonna do?
Been traveling and working and teaching and landscaping. For those of you that wrote... ok, more realistically, those of you who thought about writing but didn't.... to see if I was OK, I am , thanks. I mean, not to put too fine a point on it but I could have been lying in a bleeding, misshapen heap at the foot of the stairs, if I had stairs, and none of you would have inquired about my absence. Shame on you. Both of you.

But I have been most busy with work, teaching lessons that are written and writing lessons that will need teaching.It is a very rewarding job, in a mind numblingly boring sort of way. I can cut, paste, and powerpoint with one hand. Yee-haw.

I would have to say that that's all for now. There was more, of course, but I have forgotten what it was. Oh yeah, I was gonna tell you what a good show PBS's "Carrier" turned out to be. It shows flight ops naturally, and port calls. But it also shows cleaning the berthing compartment, NJP, and other less than sterling moments of real navy life. I used to be in the navy. Now I'm just some sort of public television navy groupie. Dang.

There's a girl in my back seat, asleep in her bare feet
And my trunk's full of Shiner Bock and Lone Star, out
Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You were in my neck of the woods and I wasn't. Now I am and you aren't. Doesn't mean I am not paying attention.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I knew you were working. Turns out, much to my dismay, so was I.

Don't sweat the misshapen heap on the floor part. Like I said, I don't have stairs.

10:07 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, you could have been hijacked by man eating monkeys.

Never got coffee in my eye. That must suck.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home