Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Station Dito...not

Not much going on. I am headed to Woburn, MA on Wednesday for 3 days. It looks like our new machine is going to start selling. Good for us, but we'll be busy.

Been doing some lazy work around the yard and did some housework today. I like the place to look nice.

I was thinking back to the good old crazy days when I was 21-35 and smiling. Smiling because, as we all know, God keeps an eye on the fools. I'm sure he had his hands full with me.

We would go out to Barrio Baretta or Subic City in the Philippines and party pretty hard. We could never face a ride back to the ship at the end of it all, so we'd always spring a couple of bucks and flop out in town. Mama-san would always assure us she would give us a wake up and, with the rare exception, she never did. We would wake up 30 minutes before we were to muster, with the ship 40 minutes away. We would throw on our jeans and t-shirts, run out to the road and flag down the first jeepney to come by. Jeepney drivers are shrewd and knew that at 0630 on a weekday morning we were not going to bargain too hard. And of course, they were right. We'd pay triple the normal rate to get on and then we'd tell him to go fast.

About halfway back to base we' begin to realize we were not going to make it, meaning we'd not be allowed to go out tonight, and we'd get a little bit kinda sorta bonkers. We'd be shy of rational thought. We'd be sweating it. So we'd start offering the driver an additional peso for every other jeepney he passed on the way home. I am not sure that we really got to the base all that much quicker, but it did serve to turn an already hair rasing and dangerous mode f transportation into something just shy of a train wreck. Yessiree Bob, those were some white knuckle rides.

Towards the end of one of them, we had made it onto base and were headed out to Boton Piers where we were docked, when we saw the Weapons Department Leiutenant walking alongside the road in a ball cap, flip flops, and tighty whitey briefs. I'm guessing due to an encounter with mojo (the local jungle juice) and a less than trustworthy young woman, although we never bothered to ask. We had the driver stop and we asked if he wanted a ride. he said, "I don't have any money." We laughed, "No shit! Get in LT, we'll get you back." Hey, it's not like we hadn't all been there... at least once.


A nice segueue story for the first video, as it turns out.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right, out
Ramblin' Ed

Little Head







5 6 7 8's - I'm Blue



2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sure, I've always heard that those girl bands existed in Japan, just was never able to find one ;)

Pipedragger

8:04 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

I'll have to catch the vids at a later time. Good post.

It somehow reminds me of some Philipine advice I got once. Some other time.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home