Monday, October 13, 2008

Рамблин Эд тратит впустую ваше время

Advance apology: Blogger is giving every indication it is going into "freakout formatting mode" on me. Maybe not, but probably.

Pipedragger sent me this. He's either in Ireland, or Scotland, or California. As you can see, I have some uncertianty there.
Thought for the Day:
'I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors.'


Made it back from Central America. It was fun. I never even bothered to hook into the internet. Instead I enjoyed some work, some great food, and local cerveza fria.

I surely do enjoy being in countries that don't feel like they have "something to prove". They're just mellower. I liked Guatemala, even more than Colombia, although it was easier to find a good cigar in Cartagena. I think I like Central America because I can pretty easily figure out what a sign or menu says by picking out the words I recognize and mentalizing on the context. I didn't have many problems. (I accidentally missed the 'y' in many and that made it read "I didn't have man problems", which is a significantly different message altogether.) I get around better in written Spanish than in spoken, although I did perfect saying "That's OK", "That's fair", and "How much does it cost".

I took a side trip to Antigua and could have just tossed my Blackberry off into some shadowy corner, slipped my sunglasses down over my eyes, and stayed a couple of years. It was comfortable there, amongst the artists and musicians, like you were in the 3rd and best verse of a Jimmy Buffett song. When he realizes that this sleepy seaside village is where he has always belonged. I have a picture I took in Frida's that will show in the post below this one. So when you finish this, go look at the pictures.

Cafe No Se was Ed heaven, because of things like this, and this, and this, and this , and this too. I am so drawn to things unhustley and unbustley. I like things dark, quiet, smokey and, if possible, mysterious. Like maybe a backstreet dive in Casablanca. Or a gopher hole. Or. in a pinch, a blanket fort strung between livingroom chairs.

Anyway, I am heading into a brutal schedule of flying to Chicago on Sunday afternoons, working all week in the Cook County Dept. of Corrections, and flying home on Friday nights. Come home, mow yard, repeat as necessary until finished. It will be at least 3 weeks of that, maybe 4.

Came home to find that my neighbor began to think of herself as Spain and claimed about 2" of my yard for her flag and Queen. 2"!!! All because I told her a few months back to stay out of my yard. So she snuck in some surveyors of unknown origin and "poof", she has new real estate. Think about it. What a great loophole. "Thhhbbbbtttt!! I ain't in your yard. I just discovered, after 30+ years that this 2" is actually mine and I can walk on it if I want to." She always does that crap when I am out of town, and this was no exception. But the wife did manage to get the whole neighborhood involved in letting her know what a tool they think she is. Silly wench actually pranced, yes pranced, up and down her newly discovered territory for an hour yesterday, studiously not making eye contact and no doubt hoping to provoke a reaction from me. Let her, I ain't thaking the bait. As I write this, I have one eye on the window for my own surveyors to pull up and verify her claim.

This blog is just not doing it. I have had so many things I was going to put in it, but I seldom find time to sit down. And when I do, I forget what I was going to write about.

One item, and this is the short version, was my flight on TACA Airlines. I believe, with no proof, that it stands for The Airlines of Central America. I base that on the flights they offer. They do fly to Miami, but that's pretty much the capitol of Central America, so it makes sense. So as I am flying from Miami to Guatemala, a mere 2 1/2 hour flight, I am in the absolute last seat on the plane, or Ghetto Economy seating, as I like to call it. The steward comes by and asks if I would like something to drink? (Note: US AIR now charges $2 for a coke) I said, "Sure. A scotch please." And..he..poured me..a..scotch. And gave it to me. Then walked off. No charge, no surl (the singular of surly, right?), no nothing. Then he came back 20 minutes later and gave me a meal. And 20 min after that, another scotch. TACA is my new favorite airlines!

The title is a Russian translation (I know, DUH!) of the phrase, traveling Ed is wasting your time. Nothig I do is exactly random. In other words, it might not make sense, but you probably won't understand it anyway.

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious, out
Ramblin Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I forget. Was south/central America new to you. I love it. I am angry for your pictures because it makes me want to be there and that is not going to happen any time soon. When are you up the Boston way again?

10:47 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Been to Panama, kinda. Ship was afraid to give us liberty outside of the US. However, same ship let me take a week's leave in Colombia, which, by my estimation, is a far and away more dangerous place. I almost did Venezuela, but we pulled in to Aruba instead and I do not complain about that. I was to do New Years Eve in Rio De Janiero, but that was cancelled outright.

So, Colombia, yes. Guatemala, yes. Panama, kinda. Everyplace else in the Americas, no.

Thanks for being jealous of me. Few are anymore and it feels go-o-od.

Will give you a shout when I am headed that way again. I would say you owe me a dinner, but most of your meals seem to be born of desperation. So I'll get the grub.

3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home