Sunday, December 14, 2008

Don't look for more honor than your learning merits

The title has nothing to do with the blog, but that's not really unusual now, is it? It comes from an old Jewish proverb. I don't believe we get enough old Jewish proverbs in our day to day. That's all I'm saying.
Bought a new Toshiba Satellite A300 acouple of weeks ago. I made it a desktop replacement, which is a first for me. I usually take my laptops on the road with me. But usually I am replacing a laptop that has been rode hard and is about to die. In this case, I replaces a smaller and lighter Satellite U205 that is still perfectly fine. Now the small Satellite is the road machine, chock full of games, calendars, and business forms I use.

So, I have kept this large machine docked at home and pretty devoid of programs. Obviously I had to add internet security, so I loaded it up with Comodo AV & Firewall, Memory Firewall, and Malware programs. Comodo is a right fair company, the price is right, and the name is fun to say. What more could you ask.

So this one came with a built in camera that can be used to set up a face recognition password, which I don't use. No one here will mess with my computer unless I ask them to. And asking them to look like me in order to log in seems a bit excessive, not to mention a little cruel. I have been making short video clips for the blog, but so far I can get blogger to promise that it's uploading the videos without ever getting it to actually make good on the promise. Still, I keep trying.

Right now I have it tuned in to the local country-twang station. Apparently, this came loaded with a NXP FM tuner. And a killer cute little external antenna that gives my futuristic computer with the cool graphics package a real retro '60s vibe. So I hooked it up. Not too shabby. Clear signal and good harmon/kardon speakers. Sounds nice.

I have also been visiting Hulu.com a lot to watch TV shows on demand. One might suspect, rightly so, that I am slowly moving past the computer being used solely as an office machine, and in a 21st century twist, beginning to use it as a media provider. Cool. Adapt or die, and all that.

I was brushing my teeth 2 nights ago when I caught something out of the corner of my eye and flinched. The object in my peripheral vision turned out to be a cat, and there are several of those running, or rather skulking, around. But in the flinch I executed a pec dance. I tried it again on purpose and did it again. While not near as coordinated or rapid as the body builders who can make their pecs really leap and dance, I still can pull it off. Proud? Dang skippy, I am. Although, truth be told, right now it is probably less "pec dancing" and more "tit flopping" at this point. I shall continue to practice. If you are lucky, it could be the first video that I actually manage to upload. NOTE: I am now taking your cash donations to abandon the idea and NOT make it a reality.

My car is back to normal without additional expenditure. Thanks for asking.

Lafayette 14 Dec 2008

I never was the kind
To have his feelings out there flapping on his sleeve
I never got my heart
In deep enough that I could not just up and leave
You’re not the kind of thing I do
I’m prone to big mistakes, and more or less
I’ve never had a town
To wrap my arms around like here in Lafayette

Come and hold me closer
It’s a frosty morning here in Lafayette
I love the way it feels
All toasty, you and me in this old king sized bed
You know I’ve got a few
But there ain’t nothing what we’re doing I regret
We’ve got to thank I-10
The help it’s been, it brought us out to Lafayette

Acadiana has a rhythm
All its own, and girl I gotta tell you this
Kinda spicy like the red beans
Kinda smoky like the two of us can get
The temperature outside is cold
And I don’t think it’s finished dropping yet
Come and hold me closer
It’s a frosty morning here in Lafayette

We all know I’ve got a few
But there ain’t nothing what we’re doing I regret
So we’ve got to thank I-10
The help it’s been, for bringing us to Lafayette

Ed
Lafayette, LA (duh)
I sometimes wish I could be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now , out
Ramblin' Ed


0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home