Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Every fool gets to be young once

The newscaster on the local news misspoke this morning. She said that a big thing on voters minds was the "ecomedy". Tragicomic, but...fair enough. Nice to smile at 5:10 in the morning.

Was out at the Obama rally last night. Seems that when I booked the hotel last month, I picked one right across the street from Grant Park. Who knew? Up until Monday I didn't know that meant anything. It was on Monday that I was informed by the hotel that all the roads around the hotel would be closed. I asked why, they told me, I fretted getting back to the hotel after work, my fears were for naught. As the crowd started gathering, and since I needed to go find supper anyway, I went out into it all.

I must tell you, as cliched as it may sound, for as far as I cared to walk the cowds were electric. There was a sense of something in the air. And except for the lone sidewalk provocateur calling for revoloution and communism (I did read the phamplet and it was pretty out there), there was a positive energy to it all. There were cops anout every 50 feet everywhere, but they were mostly standing around watching the giddy young folks stream by.

I know that all may not agree with me, and I am good with that since we all get to have our opinions, but I think that we have done a good thing here. I suppose only time will tell. I was one who bought into a "compassionate conservatism" that I can't recall ever coming into play, so I repeat, only time will tell. I do, however, feel secure in the knowledge that while I believe Barak is steady and even tempered, I believe even more that Michele will scarce tolerate foolishness and screwing up. I think she probably has our back, as it were.

I took pictures as I wandered around. They are to follow when I am either feeling more energetic or less non-energetic. You know me, I'm good for my word. Yes, I might start off slow, then I might tend to taper off, but I will get the photos posted.

Victory alone is not the change we seek. It is only the chance to make that change, out
Ramblin' Ed

7 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree, is my opinion, and I fear for our future as an autonomous nation. We both seek change though, just in different directions.

Peace and properity, Pipedragger

PS: I voted for Alan Keyes, because McCain is too liberal.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

I know I am the only one who reads this blog that voted Democrat in the presidential elections. I took kinda the same tack as you. I wanted real change from how it is now. AZnd I voted to get it.

I knew McCain was not a real change. A change of tone, maybe, but not of direction or policy. I could not bring myself to vote for more of the same.

But I also felt it too important to use my vote to make a statement with a 3rd party candidate. I admire the ones with a populist bent, but pragmatically....

That left Obama. Maybe a good choice and maybe not. As I said, time will tell. But he was definately not more of the same. He seemed thoughtful and reflective.

You know me, ol' buddy. Your opinion is welcome. I'll even buy you a tall Seirra Nevada while we discuss it.

Maybe I'll get to the west coast again soon.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm,
Sometimes it is not a bad idea to simply vote the incumbents out. Since Obama is not for me and the state of Californication was going to vote for him hands down, I felt I could go 3rd party (first time for me) and it wouldn't be wasted any more than if I voted for McCain. I saw a picture of Obama today wearing a US flag lapel pin, I guess he's decided its time to start being patriotic.

I'd love to knock back a couple beers, maybe someday you can also show me how to survive a day of fishing in the Florida swamps/lakes?

Pipedragger

8:33 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Fish the swamps? No problem.
Step 1: Come to Florida

Once you've completed step 1, I'll take it from there.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Well, Ed, I've got to take a comment back, I figured you voted for McCain. I don't think Obama is as personable. He is not nearly as funny and he had an uglier running mate. Your right, we'll see.

I voted for Liberty;)

12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't vote FOR anyone. But I did vote against two candidates, Obama and Bruce Lunsford (Sen Mitch McConnell's opponent.)

I would have voted for Fred Thompson, probably even for Romney, but that'd be about the extent of my voting for someone. It usually going for the less of two evils when I enter the polls.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Must have worked, Gunner. I see KY stayed solidly red.

For the first time in quite a while I actually felt like I was voting for someone, not for the lesser of two evils as is usually the case.

In addition, not that y'all care, the two biggest bozos in our local politics got their comeuppance also. It was not a good election to be arrogant and indifferent to the wishes of the electorate. Everybody was in the mood to vote the bums out. And did.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home