Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sea Spray & Butt Jarring Landings

Went fishing on Tampa Bay yesterday. Contrary to popular belief, Tampa Bay is not a city. It is either a body of water or all the communities in the area surrounding said body of water. Depends on context, really. And in the context I am using, it was a cold, choppy, get me bone soaking wet from the sea spray body of water. Would not have gotten quite so wet had I not been riding with a wild man with a "Damn the torpedos" mentality who kept us at 30 knots, going airborne and crashing back down in a butt jarring landing, despite the sea state. And I would have expected no less from him.

If I put in at the Alafia River, shoot out the mouth and into the Bay, I can be in St. Pete in 30 minutes. I was actually fishing, unsuccessfully...but still fishing, dang near to my office. If it would not be altogether inconvienient, impractical, and prohibitively costly in terms of fuel consumption, I could get to work faster by boat at 34 MPH than by car at 50-60 MPH. It's a straight line being the shortest distance kind of thing.

So to recap:Yesterday cold and I, wet.Tampa Bay not a zip code.Not possible to take boat to work.

Permit paid by Ramblin' Ed, out

Ramblin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home