Thursday, February 12, 2009

A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms

I seem to be dragging cold, crappy weather with me. I could opine further, but decline. At least the harshest weather Southern Florida and Southern California has to offer is... not so harsh actually. My molecules are just better acclimated to 80s rather than 60s.

I am in Irvine, CA. Right across the street from Orange County's John Wayne Airport. Been a pleasant stay. The work, for a change, is at a more leisurely pace. I am with our new hire, who freely admits to never having been out of his own time zone. I, on the other hand spent a little over a decade living either 20 min north of here or an hour and a half south. I have been having old home week, for sure.

We went breakneck pace until we wore ourselves out. I have taken him to Venice Beach, Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills, Hollywood, Long Beach to see the Queen Mary and Spruce Goose (where we stumbled on a filming of CSI: Miami), The top of the mountian in San Pedro, Huntington Beach, and all points in between. It has been outstanding. But working in the day and scurrying all over SoCal in the evening finally took its toll. Last night we stayed in. I watched UNC-Duke and American Idol and he did his trigonometry homework (Yikes!). Tonight he will continue to hit the books and I will watch Survivor. Tomorrow afternoon, Friday, we are headed back up to Venice Beach and on Saturday we fly home.

I will be home in Florida for a week, where it has climbed back into the 80s like it should be, and then hop a god-awful long, 2 layover flight to Anchorage where it will probably also be in the 80s. Minus 80s!! I suggest you prepare for some serious whining. The company is good about sending me to the where I want to go places, but are horrible about getting the when I want to right. Miami & Phoenix in August, New Hampshire & Alaska in February.

Up, up and away! Super Cat.
My "Friday Night Lights".
Caution: Objects in the lens are dumber than they appear.
We knew he was warm 'cause he'd come from afar. (Think about it......)
M-m-my Papaya. Think the tree is dead now.
What cereal, hooman??
I like trees.

Dang!


View from my hotel room
Beverly Hills
Rodeo Drive. No celebrity sightings.
More Rodeo Drive
Where Eddie Murphy used to work
Beverly Hills cop. He was giving some 20 year old in a very expensive car a ticket for talking on the cell phone as she was driving. That was funny.
But not every day
Drive in and Celebrity Bar

Tag....you're it



Well whadya know!!!
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve*, out
Ramblin' Ed
* - J. R. R. Tolkien

6 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx for the Ca. tour--I now feel I've actually been there. But I DO NOT like the remark you made about your namesake, Ramble!
Geez, anyway, welcome home.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed,

Isn't that the same old Soviet diesel submarine we saw in Sidney, Australia, back in 1998??

Pipedragger

10:00 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Don't remember the sub. I do remember the stripper that came to the ship and took me out. Wait... that was in Brisbane.

No, me and Cliff Bushman (Bushman- what a wonderful name for cruising Oz) rented that car in Wollongong and eventually met the ship in Newcastle a couple of weeks later. So we kinda skipped the stop in Sydney.

3:18 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

CSI Miami in Hollywood? That's like the Dukes of Hazard in Southern California. Proof they were'nt real Southerners.

Anchorage? Has that Volcano blew yet? They talked about it but it never was said if it blew it's top or just kept rumbling.

Oh, I've never been to So Cal. The only thing I'd care to see out there would be the Women. But those Mountains were pretty.

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed--I just discovered your blog and am enjoying your voice as much as I did, oh my god, 30 years ago. Great to know you are still alive and kickin, and writing, same as you ever were. This is your red-penned friend (no one calls me Barbie anymore but my dad). not sure you ever did tell me what blew your mind. Life in general is enough to do it. I'll keep reading.

6:08 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

bmccull. Well, hearing from you blew MY mind. Drop me a line at travelin_ed@earthlink.net so I can capture your address. Wouldn't ask you to broadcast it. Thanks.

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home