Friday, March 27, 2009

I don't necessarily agree with everything I say

I get a free catered lunch nearly every day and yet I still seem to be gaining weight.

Been plodding along. Worked up in Orlando on an explosive trace machine. It was pretty neat, and I suppose that is as much detail as I should probably go into it. Was able to take the wife with me. We stayed in a hotel on International Drive. She had to keep herself busy during the day, but still....

Am writing the operator training course for a new software version of our equipment. It's being installed in Winnipeg. And I have never been to Canada, so... so.... well, so I want to go. And it's in June or July, which seems like a reasonable time to visit.

We're in the middle of a severe drought. We draw water from 2 rivers, one of which is at two percent of it's normal flow. Yes! I said two percent. Which means it is 98% used up. Our resevior is empty. We're in such dire straits that Southwest Water Management District, or Swiftmud, a governmental entity in the truest form, has decided to start to think about maybe banning lawn watering. Maybe. Meanwhile, there is a rich RV salesman on Bayshore Drive, our uptown section of down town, who singlehandedly used SIX MILLION gallons of water at his house last year. Sure, there's 12 1/2 bathrooms, but still, there's only 4 of you living there. Oh well, at least its not raining.

I fnally put a big privacy fence up between me and the crazy wench who lives next door. And wench is such a polite way of putting it.

I asked you for a cigarette
But you gave me a light
And when I asked you for your point of view
I got the story of your life
Well I could have turned the TV on
If you'd looked like the silent type
And I will never understand
The workings of a woman's mind

I spent the night near ecstacy
And I'm hopin' you feel the same
You were soft and warm, I'll remember that
We were gentle like the rain
Then when the windows started fogging up
We drew faces in the steam
And for the pleasure to have known you
I say thanks for everything

Now I will shut the front door quietly
Behind me when I leave
I meant to say goodbye
But I found I couldn't do it
So in the morning when you wake up
I'll be half a state away
I meant to say I loved you
But I couldn't put you through it

Will you hold it all against me?
Talk about me to your friends?
Will you mourn this almost love affair
That never quite began?
You see, I really thought we'd made it
But then you asked too much of me
Yeah, I'll just shut the front door quietly
Behind me when I leave

Cynics regarded everybody as equally corrupt... Idealists regarded everybody as equally corrupt, except themselves. - Robert Anton Wilson

So now developing wetlands in Florididdy just got a whole lot easier. Man , I really wish that I were making this up. Starting as soon as they can get the bill passed into law, in the name of economic stimulus or something, as long as "a geologist, scientist, architect, (architect...really?!) engineer, or other professsional", that you yourself have gone out and hired, signs an affidavit that your development of the wetlands won't contribute to water pollution, and the form is filled out correctly, the application to destroy what mother nature has given us must, by law, be approved. Yeehaw. I would weep if it weren't so, ummm...Floridian to have a law like that.

Been watching the NCAA tourney, just as you are supposed to . I remember one Saturday in Fredricksburg, VA when I had gone in about 10 AM for some tires. It was about a 35 min ride into F'burg from where I lived. The tire place had the tourney on and I was watching as I waited for truck to finish. All of the games were nail biters, and as is often the case, the station just kept switching from one exciting finish to the next. I ended up sitting in that doggone tire store for close to 4 hours... and though I stayed the longest past my finish, I was not the only guy who did... before making a break for it and driving back to King George.

I tell you that to tell you this. My conference, the ACC, put in 7 teams. And even though I am a dyed in the cotton/polyester blend NC State fan and they were not in, I pull for ACC teams in the tournament. And I must say, what a bunch of non-representers they turned out to be. Of the 7 teams, 4 lost their first game, Maryland left in the second game, and Duke got their panties removed, their butts spanked, and their panties handed back to them by Villanova in the third game. Just as well, I hate the idea of pulling for Duke anyway. Only UNC is walking the walk. They're just grabbing folks by the throat and tossing them aside. And though it pains me, again as a Wolfpack fan, to root for the Tarheels, I'm their number 1 fan for the duration. (Hmmmmm... seems I went a little Sports Illustrated on you. Sorry.)

Picture me a little man
A lonely man, a thief
Come to steal your heart away from you
Wrap you in emotions
That you struggle to break free
That's the one thing that you'll never do

Picture me a picture
Of a man you used to know
One that you will never know again
Had my share of promises
Spilled my share of blood
Brought to the surface, always, by a friend

Yes, picture me a picture
And I’ll picture you one too
In a timeframe that is neither wood nor gold
Pictures, they tell stories
And stories, they deceive
Though worse are they that never will be told

Picture me a little man
A lonely man, a thief
Come to steal your heart away from you
Wrap you in emotions
That you struggle to break free
That is one thing that you'll never do

Picture now the darkness
Not a shred of light to see
Take a long look at this heart of mine
Casting lonely shadows
Towards the corners of the room
Shadows ruin pictures all the time

A motion to adjourn is always in order. - Robert Heinlein

It may even cause scars, but it will surely draw blood, out
Ramblin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home