Sunday, November 29, 2009

Great people talk about ideas, average people talk about things, and small people talk about wine

Out west again. Heading west from Reno to find Truckee, CA. I had a friend on the USS Antietam that was from Truckee and I had always wanted to see it. I figured with it only 30 min. away, this was as good a chance as I was ever likely to see. Anyway, that really good enlisted friend of mine is now a really good O-5. Some of you know just how impressive a journey through the ranks that represents.
"Downtown" Truckee, CA. Of course, there could have been a more modern downtown if I had turned the other direction off I-80, but I will just pretend that this was it.
Cool looking gas station in Truckee. Of course, it was not a gas station. It was a ski clothing store.
Northern California traffic is less hectic than Southern California traffic. I am not complaining to say that most of the trip was spent in this start and not stop traffic.
OK, am I the only one who sees an AT&T commercial in this shot?
What a beautiful view. I am so glad that several folks suggested this drive. Enough folks said to do it that I figured that there must be something to it.
This does answer the question: Does a bear poop in the woods? Yes, but he poops pine cones. Or else....could this be the bad dude that ate Ewell Gibbons.
Dusk on the lake.
Getting dark now. While the scenery is still beautiful, my little camera is not the right equipment for properly capturing it. And since I went home over the Mt. Rosa Highway, complete with a view looking down over the far off lights of Reno twinkling and filling the valley, that is a shame. Still, this is a decent shot across Lake Tahoe.
Hmmmm... two cars in the garage. That can only mean that I'M HOME!
So, I was watching Glee. It is something I do and do not apologize for. Heck, I like dancing. I like singing. And I like cheerleaders. Hence, yes hence, I thoroughly enjoy this show that has plenty of all three. In this week's featured mash up (where they mix two songs together) they did not mash up songs, but rather mashed up choirs. It started off with a group of deaf singers singing John Lennon's "Imagine" with just a piano for accompaniment. Not to be crude, but you know that deaf people sound a little off when thy speak. Or sing. Then, one by one, the other choir joined them. It was beautiful, fully bringing to bear the spirit of inclusion that John wrote into the song. I was touched.
I watched the plane load up in Phoenix. There was a large-ish soccer mom and her husband, carrying a 4 or 5 year old on his back. The plane was loading slow, which is in no way remarkable. Nor is it unexpected. Large-ish mom kept hollering, "Let's go...c'mon, let's move!"Seriously. Everyone else just looked at her as if she were boorish. Her husband, meanwhile, kept hollering (yes, hollering ad I am NOT making this up) that "I can't stand like this forever." You know, as if the 5 year old would not be able to make the arduous journey down the aisle unassisted. All I could think was, "Well, apparently Tampa is down two idiots right now." Makes me proud to know that these Tampons...I mean Tampans, are my peeps. That's all I'm saying
This is just a place holder. There is more to write, but not today. As the philosopher once asked, "If not now, when?" "Sometime later," would have to be my simple reply.
Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.- Thomas A. Edison
If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one? - Abraham Lincoln
A good listener is usually thinking about something else. - Kin Hubbard
The only man who is really free is the one who can turn down an invitation to dinner without giving an excuse. - Jules Renard

Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions, out
Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog and lovely pictures. I particularly liked Lake Tahoe at dusk, but all were beautiful.

6:21 PM  
Blogger sage said...

Nice photos of Tahoe. Truckee is a nice town--I love watching the trains make their way through the Sierras

10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home