Monday, March 15, 2010

They're so cute when they're apathetic

After I had been in Boston 2 days during a pretty wicked nor'easter, I sent this email back to some friends in Florida :
Well, it finally quit raining sideways long enough to try to snow. Failing that, it continued raining sideways a while longer. After 2 days though, it looks like the rain has stopped. The sun is making a cautious appearance and I must say it is quite beautiful as it reflects off of the massive flooding. Wish you were here. Ed

That was a true assessment at the time. However, soon after writing that the sun came out good, the wind shifted from the west, and it turned into a gorgeous, gorgeous day. I have to be fair about that.

From the St. Petersburg Times recently:
A Florida native, Hastings has served in Congress since 1993, when he became Florida's first African-American member since Reconstruction. Earlier he worked as a lawyer and a federal judge, until he was removed from office for bribery and perjury. (Emphasis is mine)

We are hooking up tonight (it was St. Paddy's day when I started this post) with a bud from Canada and an old boss who lives here for a double celebration. Seems like my co-worker, Johnny FN, is turning 30 today. Today being St. Patricks Day. St. Patricks Day in Boston. Where there are, I suspect, more than a few citizens of Irish descent. Brian is driving us into South Boston where he says the real Irish pubs are. Then leaving us there. Well, that's harsh. But we are taking the train home.

------ Now I am home-----

I filled out my census form when I got back from MA. It was waiting on me. I had been reading in the USA Today how some folks chafed at the personal question of "What is your phone number?" Seriously? You have a problem with that? You will give that info to a 19 year old clerk at Tire Kingdom to buy mud tires for your F-150 at 90 days same as cash, but not to the government for help allocating federal funding and congressional seats.

Then I read that others had a problem with stating their race, wanting everyone to mark "Other" and write in "American" because, you know, American is now a race and not a nationality. I suspect the information is used for purposes such as identifying the changes in our racial makeup over the last 10 years and probably in some way for ensuring fairness in elections and congressional districts. But what do I know, I'm just a dumb-ass caucasion.

I filled the whole form out in 5 minutes, for both the wife and myself. I found nothing even remotely objectionable. And when I was done I remember thinking, "That's it? They didn't really ask anything."

And while we are on the subject of the dysfunctional.... It looks like health care will pass. Finally. I think the GOP has been unconscionable in it's opposition and especially its tactics. C'mon--Death Squads for Grandma?? Concerns...debates...parry and thrusts...all OK. Democracy is compromise. But for the greater good.

But the (false) alarms and (fake) hysteria by some politicians has been ridiculous. I mean, if the Democrats are all going to pay, and pay BIG, during the next elections for passing this bill, I just don't understand why they haven't just shut up and gotten the heck out of the way. Let 'em pass the bill, and then the right minded and righteous should be able to just take a leisurely stroll into the vacated seats when they all get voted out. I mean, it'll be that easy, right? Or is there the tiniest chance that the changes will improve things? That's the question, I suppose.

For three days after death hair and fingernails continue to grow but phone calls taper off, out
Ramblin' Ed

BUZZ 17 Sep 2003

You don't know what I'm after
You don't know what I bring
You don't know where I've been to
You don't know where I'll be

Tatoos might tell stories
You don't know how they end
Hide your eyes 'neath the covers
Your lovers can't be your friends

Feel the night's dark and warm embrace
Had it once but it all slipped away

You confused pain and passion
You can't tell hope from fear
You were there for a moment
almost crystal and clear

You reached out for a heartbeat
grabbed it right by the throat
left it dying and bleeding
by the side of your sad, lonely road

Let the night hide the stains from our eyes
'Cause life can get messy sometimes

And the buzz
that was love
kinda stings.

Your smile was my weakness
It was wicked and sweet
I was stealing your kisses
You were poisoning me

We were painting our picture
Using nothing but grays
We were telling our story
We were having our say

And the night's aimless shadows are all
That we hang in the end on our wall

The drugs killed the pain for a while
But a world free of tears is a lie

Ed
22 Kamakura Heights

5 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ed, since your talkin' politics, I'll put my two cents worth in:
1. It is not about what is objectionable or not, it is about the rule of law. The original Constitution stipulates Name and number of humans occupying the household; for the purpose of proper representation. All other questions, whether legal or not, do not support the original intention of the law. They support gerrymandering, welfare based on race, creed, color, etc. (This was even stated on the Census form!) I stated my full name and number of occupants in my house. IMHO, that's all they need.

2. Forget the fact that most of the country at this point is against socialized health care. Forget the fact that not one government agency has ever been run within its budget. Forget the fact that Democrats voted for the thing last fall without reading it, and this time 'passed' a common version between House and Senate WITHOUT VOTING on it. The simple fact remains that the Constitution does not stipulate the authority for the government to nationalize health care. It is illegal. Pipedragger

9:24 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Fair enough, although strictly speaking there are a lot of things that are not specifically called for in the constitution that we enjoy and are not overly upset about.

I am for the census and for making sure poor people got health insurance and middle income people don't become poor people for the misfortune of getting sick in a for profit health care system. I know we disagree on some of the finer points of this, and that happens.

I still cannot and will not condone the rancor and disrespect hurled about and the misinformation and blatant lies. I have a problem with one whole party refusing to even participate in governing. If you don't like it, help change it. Help make it work. Do SOMETHING!

As Congressmen walked to their floor to vote, insults such as nigger and faggot were hurled. Another was called baby killer as he spoke, though the hurler now states he was referring to the bill itself and the abortion provisions. So someone being black or gay is germane to a discussion about health care exactly how?

Again, I believe in civil discourse and compromise as being cornerstones of our great nation. When it comes to social issues, I am pretty liberal. Can't help it. As citizens we can disagree with each other. We can cancel out eachothers vote. That's all I'm saying.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That last thing sounds like something Jessie James or Tiger Woods said...

OK, I can see what Pipe Dragger is talking about, I can see what you are talking about. Conclusion?

Court Politics.

Health Care reform my ass. It's just more of an expensive big government getting more involved in peoples lives and they have not the sense or the right to make decisions to do that.

If they wanted to get real on health care, they would make insurance tax deductible to people, strip laws that require the States approval to build a new hospital, let people buy insurance from other companies in other states and drop another ton of regulations. Neither party has done that. Status qua.

Poor people and the middle class can have those things if they are empowered. All of these organizations and companies giving it a thumbs up? Lobbies. You just got scammed. My humble opinion.

But in a parting word, someone must have made that sign in a rush.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Let me reclarify. And, sorry about the language, I was not trying to be vulgar.

Court Politics, that is what allot of Washington's rhetoric has been. Both sides. That is one reason the Demublicans wanted the thing passed so bad. It might bankrupt us, but the current Republicrats won't do anything about it. Now, passing the thing late at night on a weekend?

Personally, I hope it gets shot down in the courts.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Sure. But last things first. As I learned in the navy, "Do something, even if it's wrong!"

We cannot afford our system as it is (was, whatever). There has been talk, pondering, studying, putting action off because you thought of it instead of me, putting action off because of recession,putting action off because we're in a bull market and everybody's rich, putting action off because elections are coming up...because Clinton got head from a fat chick...because it's a good idea but I want to completely start over...because I'm mad as hell... ad nauseum.

Seriously...whatever! Who knows what the final product would have been if the posers up in DC could have just played together in the sandbox. The N-O-P said we're against whatever you come up with on principle, then later on were basically kinda for it, but only if we start everything over from scratch. Then some sleazeball dems realized that they need my vote so bad that I can write in bizarre stipulations and earmarks by threatening to not vote for it unless I get my way. And it all got stupider every day.

I still think taking care of each other... those that can helping those that can't.... is a worthwhile undertaking. And it is a shame that we had to get a hobbled together, barely visionary bill because our representatives, and I use that term with as little sincerity as is possible, could not work for even one second towards the common good.

If everybody had sat down, hashed it out, weighed the pros and cons, and then decided that this was neither the time nor the bill I would have a lot less heartache with the whole thing. I am a grown up, fairly "infromed" individual and I can indeed be swayed by a reasonable and well thought out argument. You know, NOT the kind found on t-shirts, bumper stickers, and protest signs.

Now I refer back to my first part again.

12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home