Saturday, February 12, 2005

Army dudes

Been corresponding (commentsponding?) with a dude calling himself Appalachian Intellectual. Seems a pretty good guy, after reading on his blog some I see he's definately more of a thinker than me. Really, that's pretty rare in one o' them Army Guys. But I think he's also a sensitive guy. And he has friends with names like Jello Boy...how you gonna top that?

I asked if he wanted me to add a link to his page but I don't think he did. So you can find his blog using the link above, but it will soon fade into the archives. Because for what I lack in profundity I make up for in verbosity (and yes, I spelled those both off the top of my head), so posts tend to get pushed down the page pretty quickly. Whether you love him (or not) you'll need to bookmark him, or his page, if you want to go back again.

While my life is an open book...well, comic book....well, tragi-comic book....he's kind of mysterious. That's good in a way because it keeps you off balance. You really never know if he might be Special Forces or Special Olympics. I guessing he's not Special Olympics though. He don't come across as being all that athletic.

He's the second Army Dude (hereafter to be referred to as AD because it's easier on me, and making things easier on me is what I'm all about) to make it onto my radar screen this year. My favorite Pittsburgher* (hold the pickles, hold the relish), The Beckster, wrote me that her son had joined the army, thus becoming the first AD in my life. Since I've know him since he was young enough to enjoy a trip to the swing set, and since I'm a sage old goat with 26 years of service, I wrote him expressing my pride and confidence in him. Basically, I told him I was handing the watch over to him and to do us proud. He agreed to the terms.

Poor little dude, though. Still figuring out the army life. And he hates the base (Fort? Post? Camp? Village? I'm not real current on my ground pounding lingo) where he's at. He's hoping Fort Bliss, his next stop, will be better.

Now I can't take anything away from the good Mr. Disney who, of course, created and patented "The Happiest Place on Earth**". I won't even try. But I'm thinking that they couldn't call it Fort BLISS if it wasn't one doggone happy place, right? I mean, obviously not the happiest, 'cause Disney has that slam dunked. But still, gotta be right on up there, right? Maybe second or third happiest place on earth?

So there you go. Army Dudes, oops, I mean ADs abound.

Watch for a new post tomorrow. If there is none it's probably safe to assume that Appalachian Intellectual
a) didn't find any humor in this post, and b) I was correct...he IS Special Forces and I've been terminated.

*Sorry sk, but technically you're not in Pittsburgh and anyway you're moving. Soon you'll become my favorite Idahoser as we discussed earlier.

** Which I really, truely thought I had found one night in the Phillippines, but obviously I was wrong. A pitcher of Mojo and a lbfm is close, but apparently no cigar.


Blissfully, out.
Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I've not gotten used to putting links up, but, I will as soon as I do get the hang of it..wich I should work on today.(I'm new at this folks) Now, about being mysterious, I'm debating on how much I reveal. The Blog "American Soldier"(www.soldierlife.com) stated he thought of remaining annonymous in order to be more honest. (His is a bit hoaky. But, if he's legit, he's not a bad guy and I keep up with him.) I'm kinda in the same position...
Any how, thanks for the reccomendation.
Yap at ya later.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Reccomendation hell. It was a tribute. More or less.

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home