Monday, March 28, 2005

Boys...I work with boys

And what's worse, they are boys being led by boys. We are in the middle of a training mission for a Japanese ship. Or at least that's the way I understand it. However, with the already mentioned exception of myself, everyone else seems to think we're on a mission to chase Filipina bargirls all night and sleepwalk through some lessons each day for something to do.

One guy is single and living overseas for the first time. He has not yet figured out that every Asian woman will more or less make you feel like you're something special. But that a bargirl will make you feel re-e-eall-ll-ly special. Especiallly that part of you known as the wallet. That's why, when we used to stomp around the Philippines a lot, we called it "peso-nality". So this dude is bouncing off of walls, spending money like, well like a drunken sailor ($1,000 his first week, and we're here for 3 weeks), and coming "this close" every night to getting this particular girl out of there and getting some action. What the kid ain't figured out yet is that she's always gonna have him thinking that one more ladies drink and she's outta there with him because "she likes him a lot."

So anyway, this guy has never taught a live lesson before. He was only here to observe but one fellow got yanked back so we divvied up his lessons and ths guy got one of them. So, for a week and a half, this guy has known he has one, one hour lesson to do. He teaches it first thing this morning. So yesterday afternoon I asked the "lead" instructor, and by "lead" I mean "not leading anybody", if he had run this guy through a practice teach to make sure he was ready. I only asked because I knew the boy had spent the weekend chasing tail all night and sleeping all day. The response I got didn't really give me a warm and fuzzy. He said, "I know he worked on it some". People, he worked on it some.

So I, not the lead instructor but me, made him do a practice teach for me yesterday afternoon. He was poor to fair. What killed me was that he got to one slide, one that he was going to apparently teach this morning without any further research, and said, "I don't really know what this slide means." There are 14 other instructors here, any one of which could teach this lesson, and he doesn't even ask them to explain a slide he doesn't understand.

Needless to say I yanked the little peckerhead's liberty card and he got to spend the night doing practice teaches until he got it right. An evening that had him chomping at the bit because his bargirl missed him and tonight was the night she was probably going to go with him. An evening that was made only slightly more tolerable for him by the fact that I yanked the lead instructor's liberty card also and made him sit with me to observe the practice teaches so that peckerhead would have an "audience" on which to practice. I tell ya, some people's kids.

On a completely different note, AI, dude YOUR Rolling Rock will have an umbrella in it.

Sensai, out
Travelin' Ed

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed,
This blog about personnal responsibility in the Navy brings back a few memories, good and bad. Its nice to know that middle management in the Navy still has some authority to get things done.

Pipedragger

4:48 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Judging from my physique, I am definately "middle" management.
Travelin' Ed

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home