Monday, May 30, 2005

Salamat Po


If
you ever find yourself in the Philippines and not a hostage of the Abu Sayef, the phrase "Salamat Po" will probably come in handy. It simply means "thank you" in Tagalog. I'm not sure how to say "please don't kill me you godless heathens, my people will pay", but if you're headed over there you might want to find out. I know from experience that if you take a taxi in Manila the latter phrase
still might come in handy. Taxi rides in Manila scare me. The whole place looks like the bad side of town. Sorry, but it's true.

Anyhoo, I digress. Here, read this:

Salamat Po
No more understanding than the furies of the storms
that have lashed me on the oceans
as you sleep inside the comfort of your quiet home.

You dreamed I came
That I blew in on the wind and crashed in with the waves.
And I called your name
But that ain't how a man like me behaves.

I have often traveled on the trade winds as they've blown
me on my course of least resistance.
And every morning woken up and called it home.

I can't deny
there is a part of me inside that never will return.
For I have died
as the soft, sweet angels taught me what I've learned.

And when I fly...
my wings they'll carry me
through the sky...
baby, ain't it sometimes so hard to believe?

I have mostly told you what I know you need to hear
as you've counted off the minutes...
and the promises of lonliness...and passing years.

Time, my love,
dances slowly in the distance almost always standing still.
Like a spirit's hand
has took a ghostly grip to guide the wheel.

When I cry...
all my tears mix with the sea
to swell the tides...
And I can't say how far off they're taking me.

When I die...
I think the warm, wet winds will moan
And I will smile...
for I will know they're only tryin' to call me home.

Ed
Hong Kong

Thanks. Hope you enjoyed. I live to know that you are satisfied with things. You know what I mean...things.

Travelin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home