Friday, July 01, 2005

From the Cigar Porch

I guess soon these'll come "from under the cigar tree", a big old live oak I intend to put a table and couple of chairs under. But for the next 2 1/2 weeks, they're still coming from the porch. Here you go, not 10 minutes old:


Fading Forward

Don't know how they made this asphalt but it sure has my attention
Little specks of something shine like diamonds in the night
The moonbeams they keep dancing further off and I keep chasing
They ain't going anywhere, but somehow that's all right.


You don't need this from your lover.
You don't need this from your friend.
Thought I was both in the beginning.
But I get restless like the wind.


There ain't no voices calling, wish there was to make this easy
Or maybe just a dream that I'd been chasing all my life
Something you could take your finger, put it right down on it.
Or stick beneath your pillow when you go to sleep at night.


You don't need this from your lover.
You don't need this from your friend.
Thought I was both in the beginning.
But I get restless like the wind.


(Bridge)
If I understood the things, you know I understand I ought to
And could wrap my mind around the shadows I can almost see
If I could give you something besides shades of grey and lonliness
If I could give you something more, I'd try to give you me.


I ain't stopped this car in quite a while, now I'm thinking maybe
To pull it in the next bright lights or flashing sign I see
A two lane highway always gives a man some time to ponder
And late night Mississippi gets as empty as I feel.


Ed
Cigar Porch, Yokosuka

6 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It's something deep like a punch in the gut that you werent expecting except it doesnt hurt it just sorta grabs you and maybe it is warm and it spreads out from the center. You do not 'like' it or 'love' it because those are rather one time actions in this case and you were not 'moved' because even cheap comercials can 'move' people. No this has called you out, made you think more than twice, and changed you all without your asking. You 'feel' it but at the same time it 'feels' you more. If nothing else you are a bit suspicious and resentful of it but from the edges to the center it is a good experience and it happens again if you dare sneak another look. Words of apriciation even for the sake of the creator do not really suit it. It just is and the world is better because of that fact. - Jn

11:11 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

even cheap comercials can 'move' people....good line, bucko.

I was going to thank you for your kind words, but honestly, I'm not sure what you're telling me. If you could hit me with it again, I'd sure be apprieciative.

Man, I still get amazed at how late at night you post. I didn't figure you'd see this til tomorrow.

Ed

11:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

They are kind words and good words just complicated words which makes them worth more in my opinion. There is no english word that I have yet discovered or nice little cliched phrase that says what I want to say about this poem (or most poems of quality that I run across for that matter) so you get a confused mess of them struggling to define a word that doesnt exist. I don't think I can untangle it more than that-Jn

11:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh- It also really hit me how you said the exact same thing as me except not at all. Same idea, different mind, different words, different idea. Add some plus signs and and equals in there to get some kind of crazy equation to compare the two poems without hurting anyones pride. -Jn again

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Lost love and/or wanderlust. Cheap hotels. No regrets. Those are pretty much my stock in trade, so it's a blessing that I can rhyme good.

People's poems and recollections and stuff don't compare, per se. At least not the way I look at it. Your heartbroke and my heartbroke and John Travolta's heartbroke are all the same, but expressed differently and soothed differently. So how can they be measured against one another?

I enjoy reading other people's stuff, assuming they have enough vocabulary to express themselves, because I can see things through their eyes. Not different things, but rather things differently. Does that make sense?

Ed

1:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very much sense and I definately agree. -Jn

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home