Sunday, October 02, 2005

Sorry Guy. Sorry Hoyt.


I googled some Guy Clark lyrics and Hoyt Axton lyrics this morning for something to do while blogger was down for maintenance. Thought I'd put together a long, comprehensive and well planned post today with all of the extra time I'd have for it. Silly me.

I found that most of their lyrics, which are really stories, are hard to read. Great when sung, not as effective when read. So I abandoned them.

When wondering what to do, this started coming out. It changes meters, it changes tenses and it sometimes forgets where it was going. And even where it's been. I don't think it's finished. I'd like to tell you I'll polish it up and get it finished. I'd like to tell you a lot of things. Chances are that this is just what it is gonna be. Too bad.

Anyway, since it is more a musing than a story it gets no title. Enruse and perjoy. It is, for the most part, true enough.


Say you got an invitation
ain't sure how you'll take it
thinking that you'll be there
but you just might blow it off


Well, my dear you're welcome
If you choose to come and share your story
Door is always open for you
your two cents ain't mandatory


Had a time when I was fine
A ramblin' bone, a mess of rhymes
Dusty is as dusty was
And dusty followed every bus


Well, my dear the busses came
And went in choking, dieseled glory
Tales, they wafted on the breeze
Impermanent and drifting stories


Dos cervezas please, por favor
Dying from a backseat ride
Driver wasn't one for stopping
But he's honest. Keeps on time


Need some black beans laid on rice, and
Big ol' chunk of good, hard bread
I wonder where we are this evening
Why'd you call me "Travelin' Ed"?


This place reminds me some of somewhere
Another place, a different time
When and where aren't real important
I never have remembered whys


You're so pretty when I'm drinking
You're so casual when I'm not
You're so hard to figure sometimes
You're the best girl that I got


Had a time when I was restless
Wandered straight on off the map
I learned some things I didn't need to
I carried 'em right on my back


And now them things, they try to haunt me
I don't let 'em, done is done
The good Lord he don't keep no number
On what you did while young and dumb


You say you got your invitation
But don't know if you're gonna come
That's a shame, but that's your choosing
Guess we're strings that come undone


I was young and you were younger
Prone to ramble, as were you
Kiss ya, miss ya, see you later
Maybe in a different tune.


I built this city. I built this city with rock and roll, out
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Your deja voodoo is correct.

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home