Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Waitin lonesome in the sun


I slack, therefore I whine, or, were I Australian I would whinge, a word I still do not quite understand to this day. How do I know this? Because my own personal hero told me so. Kinda. Anyway I read it and I knew deep down that as much as I did not want to hear it, as much as I wanted to think the situation otherwise...then I got back to the not wanting to hear it portion. C'est la vie / c'est la sk.

My own personal mini-hero wrote something while she was working barefoot and eating dancing food -- she writes without taking a breath and it really zips along, but you sometimes lose it a little on the curves-- and it was good. It is usually good which is why I save the gushing praises and the offers to buy her sandals so she can be barefoot, but still not, for when she writes something stellar. Stellar being, of course, a word that I consciously endevor to work into sentences that need quantifying in a positive direction, a word that I like more than I like a lot of other things, a word that is indeed itself stellar. Stellar, the word not the concept, caught my eye when I saw mini-hero, or MH, had used it (however accidentally it may have happened) in a sentence. Correctly, no less. Oh yeah, my point. I stole the title from her.

We drove around Seffner, Valrico, Thonotossassa and Brandon yesterday knocking on the doors of the "DO NOT CALL LIST" people and having an absoloute ball. They were cool people and for the most part my peeps. The angry, trailer park dweller on Rebel Run Road; the truck driver at the end of Ranch Rd, a small stretch of heaven right here on earth, about 1 lane wide and jam packed with spanish moss draped live oak trees. If your eyes could drink, then this view would intoxicate you. Heavily intoxicate you, stumbling down the avenue drunk, yet still wanting more; and the others. I was in my element as we stood on the porches and chatted. We laughed, we shook our heads, we nodded gravely and we cussed the county guvmint, which needs a good cussing anyway, as you will learn next topic if you're still with me. We did this only because it was a beautiful Florida afternoon and we were stuck sitting in the office having less than satisfying conversations with the colorful office supplies. "So, ya come here often?"

The boy I was with, Dave, didn't want to drive his car so we took mine. He said it was because his was dirty, but we both know it was 'cuz we was in a place where having not one, but two, NY plates on a car is not gonna be beneficial to the cause. You know, fairly unreconstructed folk.

Hillsborough County, my beloved county here in the great state of New York South, motto: That's NOT how we did it up north, had goons sitting on the edge of my yard in an unmarked car... well, actually I think it was marked, but my eyes, you know... when I came out to go to work yesterday. They bum rushed me and got on me straight away. "You can't water your lawn today", they said, and were not in the mood for my response, which was to turn slightly to study the sitchy-ation, then respond that it seemed that I could, a reference to the fact that the sprinklers seemed to be working fine. I will spare you the details, but after a bit of banter that only one of us was finding amusing, I came to the conclusion that these were the kind of people what would impound your house for watering your roses on the "wrong day". I also concluded that having my house impounded while I still owed so much on it would suck. Verily. So I nodded in complete fake agreeance and let them slink off to their nefarious work. Dang nefarious county employees in their somewhat unmarked vehicles.

And, just to get the day started off completely right, at 0620 the garbage truck come down the road from the "I'm finished" direction instead of the "I'm arriving" direction, spotted me dragging garbage and moving boxes to the road, stopped to pick up my refuse.... AND LECTURED ME. What the heck was up with the county employees??? He stopped but he didn't have to, I needed to have my waste there "No later than 0600 or next time I'll drive right by it", etc. etc.

OK, I have to go to work. I hope as you read this you could feel my pain. Sometimes I am very painful. Other times merely playful. If I ever find my thumb drive again I'll post some more of my rhyming words.

Vengence a with back, out
Ramblin' Ed


5 comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps what one should do when they have no thumb (drive) to stick out and get places is to start walking in a general direction of their own. You deserve a break by the cigar tree anyways. (Business is an excuse though not a very good one) -Jn

7:56 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Hey there Hero of mine, I am firm believer, and if you dont believe that you should try pinching me, that you will develop a new rhythm to your new life and then those rhymes will start poppin again. This is all new and rather time consuming right now but it will all begin to flow slowly and smoothly and you will only have manical ducks chasing after you if you sit still too long. Or so I am hoping- cold calls on DNC people is a pretty scary thing- Good think you are tall and handsome and very gentlemanly- just never leave the front porch adjusting your britches- the wrong person could be watching and well life is just not the same without the daily ed in it. Like that second cup of coffee ya know.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

We went to the DNC folks 'cause we figured nobody had talked to them. We were correct. And, like I said, I had a ball. Talking to people about stuff has never been a problem for me. I even drove past the orange grove off Durant (egads... the orange grove was actually still there)where I might have, or might not have, groped upon your sister some.

As soon as I get into a rhythm things'll be better. Right now there is just so much to do.

You will get something every day, even if it's just an excuse.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Red Queen said...

Egads back at ya, I know the place but ewwwww that was not a necessary image- that is just almost like walking in on your parents doing it- that was not fun either. So I am going with the idea that you were just not the type to grope sisters- come to think on it there is just not a satisfactory way to put it either. I always knew it was better to be in the action then to hear about it later- much later in this case. EWWWWWW you done grossed me out today.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Ooops, sorry.

Hey, the orange blossoms smelled really nice, though

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home