Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Not FLAMINGO, you idiot


My father had a birthday yesterday. It's like those things are coming every year now. He has done a lot for me this year, and by a lot what I mean is A LOT! So I wanted to repay him some. While him getting back any of the money or time he spent on me this year is a good idea that likely will not happen, I could still do what I do best. Make fun of him, you ask? Well, OK, what I do second best. I could feed him. No one goes hungry around Ramblin' Ed.

We dressed up decent and slicked down our hair. My wife pinned her dress shut a little more as she was afraid she might be showing too much boob, although I tried mightly to get the idea that there was no such thing as showing too much boob translated into something she would understand. I failed and she pinned.

We hopped into the Pontiac and made the short drive down Causeway to Ybor City to
The Columbia Restaurant. What a great place. It's been there since 1905. It's classy without being pretentious. It's expensive without being inexpensive. It has great food.

Mmmmm. Great food. I had a filet mingnon with Booker Noe bourbon as a sauce and, because Booker Noe is like 120 proof bourbon this was possible, the waiter lit it on fire just before putting it in front of me. Dinner don't get no better than firey meat. And for me, coffee and key lime pie. The others had other things and that was their loss.

Then, with no warning, the lights dimmed, a soft woman's voice with a nice Spanish accent welcomed us all, and out stormed the flamenco dancers. They were colorful. They were graceful. They were stomping their feet like they was in a mess of fire ants. They were cool. I think one of the dancers had a thing for me, but luckily for us all, she hid it extremely well. In fact, she hardly even looked at me which I suppose is a good thing. Remember: Flamenco, as in not flamingo.

All told, it was a very good evening. And I made it home in time to watch "My Name Is Earl" (which was surprisingly good) and Dog: Bounty Hunter (which is the reason television was invented). And a weird show called Nip/Tuck which bears a second watching before I make up my mind.



Peacenik, out
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Your Dadd sounds cool, and he doesn't make fun of your spelling. That's a good thing. This word verification thing is like playing scramble.

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home