Saturday, December 03, 2005

Impatient


I know that some of you are world travelers. And knowing that, I know that some of you may refute me. But still, it is the way I feel and I'm one of those "ALL THE NEWS THAT'S PRINTED TO FIT" kind of guys.

I went to Montego Bay, Jamaica and it was the dirtiest, scariest "tourist destination" I have ever been to. Oh, inside the walls of the resort were OK, but once you left those walls it was much like walking through the projects. In an albino suit.

But, some weird stuff happened there, too. Most memorable, well most able to print in a family blog, were the reggae club girls.

We had stopped into an outdoor bar, and by outdoor bar I mean literally a six foot long bar under a tree in a dirt lot. There was a dilapidated stage on the other side of the lot, but it looked to have fallen into disuse. It was hot and the journey to find a nicer part of Montego Bay had been long, and so far, fruitless. The bartender was as black as night and rather short and portly. But he was acting friendly enough.

When we went to leave, he said,"Gentlemen, come back this evening. You will find it to your liking." It was strange. Not because he said that, but because it was the deepest barritone speaking the most proper Queen's English I had ever heard.

We came back, but not expecting much from a dirt field. However, with a really energetic band playing on the dilapidated stage, the dirt lot made quite the perfect dance floor for 200 or so people.

As we were sitting there, there were three of us, three women entered. We noticed them immediately. Tall, in fact very tall, medium dark skin, and perfect bodies. We ogled our apprieciation.

They walked across the lot and straight over to us. They never smiled or said a word, kinda like a runway model at a fashion show. They stood over us, set their purses on our table, held out a hand for us to take and led us to the dance floor. We danced about 3 dances and went back to the table. We offered them a drink, but they said no. Actually, they shook their heads no. Well, actually, just one of them did. After a brief rest, we went out for 2 more dances. And then they just walked away.Still without ever saying a word. Weird. But fun.

At one point we thought they might have been hookers, but it really didn't play out like someone trying to get money off of you. So we just took it at face value. What else ya gonna do?

By the way, after a while, all reggae songs start to sound alike. Like you're listening to the same one over and over. When we realized that, we left.

I was also inspired to write this during my stay in Montego Bay. It was a warm day. The 4th of February, 1997. I remember it as if it were just 9 years ago...

Impatient

Maybe I cannot see faces that
Are clearing slowly through the fog
Take my fingers and draw hearts into
The steam upon the window to your heart

Anyone could call upon the will
To point their finger wildly and accuse
From a lineup of the luckless ones
And everyone I think I know but you

You say I'm so... impatient
Do you wish me sedated?
Like a drumbeat it's my heart beating
Serpent smiles and this must be Eden
You lick your lips and cock your head that certian way
In love. On fire.

May the numbness calm your shaking hands
And bring the blood up to the surface now
Paint your eyes in colors I have never seen
To hide the darkness you have found

At the crossroads where the crosses stand
To mark where other lovers tried and failed
I wet my finger, lift it to the wind
That we both know blows hot beneath your veil

You say I'm so... impatient
Do you wish me sedated?
Like a drumbeat it's my heart beating
Serpent smiles and this must be Eden

You roll your eyes and twist my words that certian way
In love. On fire.

Hear me:
I blow up. I throw down. I cry out.
Chase the darkness through the night.
I spill blood. I find love. I fall down.
On my knees and I beg you... Am I right?

You say I'm so... impatient
Do you wish me sedated?
Like a drumbeat it's my heart beating
Serpent smiles and this must be Eden

You lick your lips and cock your head that certian way
In love. On fire.


Maybe I cannot see faces that
Are clearing slowly through the fog
Take my fingers and draw hearts into
The steam upon the window to your heart


Ed

Beloved by children of all ages, out
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

Ah ha! I thought the guy on the left looked like you.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home