Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Left, left, left, right. There's a bell on the desk. Use it.

The first German lady I ever met was my good friend's mother. I am reminded of this story because I was telling AI about a friend of mine who went to jail in the Army, got out, and was promptly re-incarcerated by the great state of North Carolina on felony charges. While in jail he would write nice letters asking for help, for understanding and for friendship. He would push all of the right buttons. But what was written while he was locked up bore no resemblance to his actions when he was on the outside. Which reminds me, this was going to be about something I remembered about his mom.

I can't remember her name, or her height or what she looked like. But I will always remember being over at their house and being called in for lunch. We sat and she brought over this huge amount of food and filled our plates high. Then she set the pots on the table. I ate until I was fat and dumb, having arrived already happy, and pushed the plate away. She told me to eat up, and put another helping on the plate. I assured her I couldn't eat another bite and she told me I still had a plate to finish, that I had not eaten enough. "No, thank you, Mrs. R. I am stuffed." "You have eaten nothing, you must have more." "No, thanks. I'm full. Really." "YOU VILL EAT MORE! You must eat more." Well, having only met one German mother, I still think I have a pretty good handle on the propensity towards rotundity in the fatherland. Vurd.

Scored a 94 average on my TABE test today. It checked reading, math computation, applied math and language skills. Of course, it only tested to a 12th grade level, so it's not particularlly impressive. Still, I managed to divide fractions, something that I had personally thought was impossible. Like a camel through a needle's eye or a rich man into heaven. In fact, I believe that the only reason for me having opposable thumbs is so I can count higher than 8.

So now all of my pre-req's are done for the sheriff's deputy application. So, I am holding my breath and getting ready to set the first interview up.

It is better when you tell someone something and they get it. Sometimes they don't. I mean, if you're taking the time to say it, then it means something to you. Otherwise you'd blow it off, right? Why waste the breath? Then you realize the proverbial boat has been missed. That they're still standing on the dock, pondering what you said...and it ain't what you said. Do you go back and explain again? Probably not. Just let it be. Too bad.

Me and the wife drove to McDonald's last night about 10 PM to get her a Filet-O-Fish and a Big Mac. When we got there, this is what she asked me:

"Isn't there a curfew?"
"No, dear."
"Really?"
"Yeah, really."
"Then do these kids have parents?"

You see, the wife isn't numb yet to young teenagers hanging out aimlessly, acting the fool, and speaking loudly in vulgarities. She'd gladly swat their behinds and send them home.

This is the drool inducing ice cream of which I so flatteringly spoke of. In fact, I will enjoy a bowl tonight. I will enjoy a bowl the next night, too. In fact, if the good Lord (and Publix) didn't want me to enjoy this fine, fine frozen concoction, then pants wouldn't always come in another size bigger. Word.

Looks like fishing is on for Friday. My fishing buddy, DRE, has been working 7 day weeks for the last two months. We phone tagged each other every week or so to assure each other we were still among the living. Well, now he's back to five day weeks. And we shall fish.

Tis not as easy as before because your friend and mine, the land developer, has bought up, fenced off and ringed every small fishing lake and pond in the general vicinity with new homes. I just don't feel right about stomping across some yankee transplant's back yard to get to what was once a favorite wooded fishing hole.

And, for the life of me, I cannot seem to understand the fascination some people have for throwing shopping carts into a perfectly good pond. But apparently, many folks find it great fun. Or theraputic. Or something.

Still, there's some refurbished phosphate pits that are now good fishing spots, and I understand that there is a little known county park with some great spots to fish located right underneath the fire tower. And I got me some real worm friendly dirt here at the house, so there's a bit of savings there if we choose to go the live bait route.

Well time will tell, they told me
time will tell
And then what have you got to show
but the feelings that you've felt
There ain't no flashing arrows pointing
to where our tears have fell
No puddles at our feet
but time will tell

Time will tell, I'm sure
that time will tell
They said that I could not grow up
yeah, those who knew me well
Jim Morrison had tales
of polished chrome and answered prayers
And I'm praying with you, Jim
But time will tell

Time will tell, they say
yes, time will tell
just like my smokey thoughts that drift
off through the window sill
the nights, they seem so lonely.
Seem so dark. They seem so still.
Do shadows lie in wait for us?
I'm sure that time will tell

Time will tell, my lover
time will tell
And I see our love like grains of salt
spilled on the table there.
I don't even try to count them
nah, just leave them lying there
Makes you wonder can we make it, girl?
Well, baby, time will tell

----Barrio Logan, San Diego, June 1985


I've tried lots of things in my life. The things I liked, I've tried 'em twice. You've got that right. --Ronnie VanZandt

Not to be used near heat or flame, out

Ramblin' Ed

2 comments:

Blogger Gun Trash said...

As a cat(s) owner (non-volunteer) I enjoyed the cats-on-a-couch picture.

Actually, I enjoyed it all, but especially the cat picture.

11:00 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Actually.1 you don't "own" cats, you just let 'em hang out at your house and they permit you to feed them and take them for annual checkups, etc.

It's a pretty good racket they've got for themselves.

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home