Sunday, January 01, 2006

Look, I'm pulling out TWBB. You are getting .... verrrry .... sleeepyyyy.


Well, heck, I guess it's 2006 today. Good. 2005 had a few bumps in the road.

I just want to say that I thoroughly enjoyed writing those last 3 stories. And to answer mom's question, about 99.75% was made up. The part about waking up in the berthing of an Adams Class destroyer, where you had 32 uncouth roommates, and getting a butt in your face was true. However, I always just looked at it as being better than waking up to find a face in your butt.

It is foggy this morning, but warm. I worked on the truck yesterday in shorts with my shirt off. It was that nice. Today is supposed to be upper 70's, but aside from trimming a few bushes back, I don't have a lot of outdoor activity planned.

Speaking of the truck. It's fine. All washed and waxed. Detailed and touch up painted. I even yanked out the grille and painted it flat black bfore reinstalling it. Makes it look a little more menacing, I think. Anyway, all I had to do to fix it was pull something out.... my mastercard.

I am for sure taking it easy this morning. I will share with you a poem from TWBB (The Way Back Book) and move on to reading the paper and watching The Simpsons and The Family Guy that I recorded.

One last disclaimer. I wrote this next one over 20 years ago. The similarity between it and a recent post are apparent. The timing of me posting it is purely coincidental. It was the next one in the book after the post it note, so it is the one I post. That, my peeps, is the rule.

Twenty-One

we turned 21 together
yes, and everything was cool
we still did the same old things
just like we did in school
but me, I got this wanderlust
that would not go away
and you still kept the same old dreams
that faded more each day
we said goodbye at 21
it was better off that way

now everybody said that we
fit like a hand in glove
it was plain as any picture
you and me were so in love
though we were never voted
the most likely to succeed
you could see it in our eyes
we had all we'd ever need
at least til we turned 21
that's as far as we could see

we turned 21 last summer
midst the parties and the heat
that's when I started wonderin'
what lies farther down the street
I asked if you would go with me
to see what we could find
I took you by the hand
and asked if you would be my wife
we'd be 21 forever
until the day we died

when we married we were 21
and we got ourselves a place
we both started working
I worked nights and you worked days
but the bills kept piling higher
and they would not disappear
seemed to pay off that old Chevrolet
was taking fifty years
and at 21 we argued
like we'd never done before

we turned 21 together
started out as quite a joke
but on cue it seems our hopes and dreams
started going up in smoke
I gave in to that old wanderlust
and wandered off the deeper end
you just hung on to your past
like it was something to defend
at 21 the game was over
did we say goodbye as friends?

Ed
El Cajon, CA (aka The Cajon Zone)


The weather is here, I wish you were beautiful, out
Ramblin' Ed

4 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, that darn foolish Stepson of mine should have read that. Me...I'm going to work around the place. Enjoy the east day and Happy New Years!
I got 7 letters..I can't make sense of them.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Yeah, Murf. Good friends.

AI, it wouldn't done him no good. When you were young, did you listen? I know I didn't.

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a most lovely time at 21 BUT I wouldn't go back to that age.

Happy New Year to You and Yours.
Very wet on this side of the country.

11:09 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I will tell you what 21 was like when its over. -Jn

8:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home