Sunday, October 01, 2006

My letter to Neil Young (A very true story)


Dear Mr. Young,

I read in the local paper that this war has no "Four Dead in Ohio" associated with it and that set me to thinking........
If Elton could rewrite Goodbye Norma Jean for Princess Diana, Neil Young can redo "Four Dead in Ohio" for the war in Iraq.
Of course all I would want is co-author credit or a T-Shirt.

thanks
Ed Abernathy.

Tin Can Bomb (Ed Abernathy 28 Aug 2006)

Marched in, gonna save the blameless
Dug in, gonna save them all
This evening I sip my coffee
This evening more soldiers fall

What do we do now?
How can we walk away?
How can we pack up and go?
How can we keep doing
What ain't been getting it done?
And killing our boys in the road

Don't figure they're fighting for freedom
Don't figure they're fighting for oil
Don't figure they know exactly
What brought them into this war

Don't say that they're wrong for going
They're patriots fair and square
I reckon there's blood been spilled on
The hands that sent them there

What do we do now?
No exiting gracefully
So how do we get them back home?
How do we stay there
When bombs are blowing up daily?
And killing our boys in the road

I wanted to see Sadaam fall
I wanted to take Iraq
I read it all in the papers
Attack or be attacked

But where has this gotten us?
And where is it leading to?
How do you wash your hands clean?
'Cause I need to wash mine too

So what do we do now?
When do we call it a day?
Swallow our pride and let go?
How do we tell a mother
Her son died a hero's death
From a tin can bomb beside the road !?

Marched in, gonna save the blameless
Dug in, we're gonna save them all
This evening I sip my coffee
This evening more soldiers fall

Tin soldiers and Nixon's coming, out
Ramblin Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home