Monday, October 09, 2006

Not as Big as Who Done It

I can actually play tarot. Not read tarot cards, but play the card game. I wonder how many people know that it's a French card game. Not the mystical hippies that sell the cards. They always assure me that I'm mistaken. But look it up. It's a game and I can play it pretty well. Except I get caught up in bidding on the chien.

Calvin (of "and Hobbes" fame) used to say that when you're cool, the world bores you. To answer the questions: Yes. No. Yes. The questions are, of course,
1. Is Calvin a personal hero of yours?
2. Are you cool?
3. Does the world bore you anyway?

I have been losing weight eating as much as I want to. As much as I want to pay for, that is.

I can deal with gay. It just does not bother me, as long as I remain a non-participant. But those two homos on Amazing Race had to go. And go they did. I just do not care for the feminine voiced, helpless acting, "oh honey, you tried so hard" variety of fruit. It's just creepy. Elton John, Barney Frank, Ellen Degeneres I can deal with.

Roger Daltry. There you go. I know you hadn't thought about him in a while.

Quick, call me a taxi. OK, you're a taxi.

I intend to road trip on up to Jacksonville this weekend to see an old buddy before he moves to Doha for a year. He's pretty much the last of my friends still active duty. The rest of us have all bought the requisite "US NAVY RETIRED" window sticker and/or license plate. He was an OS Chief who went LDO. He had to do a lot of time to pay them back for that little promotion and to retire as an officer. It's a lot more money for him to retire as an officer, but he's hating life. All of us are gone and he's still being sent all over the world over his protestations. That was navy life for you. He got off of a 6 month deployment 3 weeks ago and in 3 more weeks is transferring to the Middle East. He complained that he had just gotten off of deployment (meaning: "I'd like to spend some time with my family") and they assured him that Doha was shore duty. Yeah, I know. After watching JAG and NCIS you had the impression that navy folk were smart, good looking, and hard charging. Ummm... Strike one, strike two, strike three, you're outta there!

I certianly do like cheese. It goes with anything except fudge.

I gotta say, my hat's off to the Amish. A couple dozen of them went to the kid killer's funeral. Not to protest. Not to heckle. Not to demand nothing. But to be sure that someone was there to mourn for him also. All kidding aside, that is how Christianity is supposed to work. And it touches me deeply.

I pass a subdivision on my way to work. Well, actually, it's more like one subdivision after another. Osprey Pointe. The Villas at Bloomingdale. Buckhorn. etc. Then there is the one called Random Oaks. What the hell kind of name is that for a subdivision? Think about it and get back to me, will ya?

I like John Prine's attitude. He once said (in a song... much to my consternation we have never spoken) "I've got a friend who doesn't know that he's my friend just yet". That's such a great attitude. That is why every day I strive to be more Prine-like. And yes, I know I misquoted him to fit my purposes. It's what I do.

Still have not heard back from Mr. Neil Young. I'm starting to think that he prefers to write his own songs. Eh--it happens.

I learned over the weekend that I have several "on demand" channels with my digital cable. One of those cannels is BBC On-Demand. It begs the question, why do I have that? Footballers Wive$... Cheaters... what, we don't have enough sleazy American TV? Now we gotta import it?

Reminds me, does anybody remember the show Love American Style? That should have been on my list the other day, but I just thought of it.

With no more substance than a popcorn fart, out
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Iko Iko. Hum bunny. Zippy the bed spread. They did the monster mash. Turk pelter. Caloric throne.

Good night, and have a pleasant tomorrow.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home