Friday, May 11, 2007

Boring, with a capital ing

One of the reasons that the American Idol vote totals are higher this year than in previous years is that this year I have been voting. Yep. Except the show when you were calling to pledge money. I didn't do that.

Who have I been voting for, you ask. Jordin Sparks. Last Tuesday I voted 5 times. Of course, voting is as easy as hitting redial and listenng to a short Ford commercial.

Melinda Lambert put out a new cd, CRAZY EX-GIRLFRIEND, on May 1st. It's now May 11th and my local Broders still hasn't gotten it in. The convienence factor of my local Broders is forever tarnished.

Progress Energy raises its rates frequently. Oil goes up, prices rise. Storm blows through, prices rise. Profits dip, prices rise. any reason we can think of, prices rise. That's why it galls me every morning for that Ford F-350 to pass me every morning doing 80 mph. I mean, c'mon.
The Japanese class has worn me out. I have been all but begging for some travel. I have enjoyed the class more than most. Still, I'm pooped. I have been working about 10 hours a day with them. Plus you can add on 2 hours per day commute. I took them to eat cajun food, I took them to go fishing and then had an impromptu cookout, I went with them to Outback when they wanted to treat me, and today I am taking them to Winghouse. Not sure if Winghouse is a national chain, so think of Hooters in a different color of tiny nylon shorts. After lunch at Winghouse, I'm gonna hand them their grad certificates, shake their hands as I'm gently guiding them towards the door, and I'm coming home to a well deserved nap under the live oak tree.


Been feeding the folks' fishes while they're in Europe for a month. Yesterday I noticed both of the catfish dead on their sides, possibly with small white dots of something. I think a disease got 'em. But they looked fine the day before. I hate that, though. You know it is always in th back of someone's mind when you kill some creature of theirs that is under your care that you have done something different than they would have, resulting in, in this case, a couple of belly-up catfish. I dropped flakes and pellets from the sky. That's it. Honest.
I was gonna rename this blog Workaholic Ed. Then I realized that workaholics make the choice to work all the time. I do not exactly choose to, I just realize sometimes that I have to. Maybe something in a nice "truth in advertising" vein. Say, Forced Laborin' Ed?
Nicknames picked up with this class:
Tree King: The guy who kept puttig his lure in the trees, even though I reminded him that more fish lived in the water than in the trees.
Mr. (or Dr.) SCSI (pronounced skuzzy): The guy who kept answering, incorrectly, "SCSI" everytime I asked what type of cable carried a particular signal.
Mr. (or Dr.) TAXI: Same guy different cable. I this case, we were going to jumper to read a signal and he pulled the connector right off the cable. 2 hours, most of it crawled up inside the machine, for me to replace it. I made him hold the flashlight.
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dead catfish - Oh my, I know that one, but not so much like you did tending animals for folks out of town. I borrowed the bro-in-laws honking big 16' trailer to haul lumber one time and somehow I lost the lock pin he used to keep it from getting stolen.

I replaced the pin, of course, and he said no problem if you ever need it again just come get, but I'd never feel right asking him to borrow it again.

Or actually, now that I think about it, that ain't nothing at all like having two catfish go belly on you while you was fishsitting them. I wonder what could have caused it?

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home