Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Slacker-daisical

I've had plenty of time to write, I suppose. I was home for 2 weeks, wife took a regular job that has her out of the house all day, six days a week. There have been the chances. I just didn't want to. Or rather, I kinda wanted to, just didn't feel like it.


It's been sunny, and a little rainy, and warm, and... and... and you know. I got to doing stuff. Heck, it's Spring. You got stuff to do. Flower planting, grass tending, shrub maintenance, and fishing. Might be baseball season to a lot of folks here, but for me its fishing season.


I took a good chunk of my personal Ed money (my stash, my mad money, my rainy day fund) went to Wal-Mart and then K-Mart (no Bass Pro Shops locally that I am aware of) and hit the aisles. Worms, minnows, crank baits (divers, floaters, suspending, broke-back), spinners, beetles, crickets, frogs, you name it. If it was rubber, if it was shiney, or if it was shiney rubber that was guaranteed to swim like a wounded bait fish, well, I bought it. I have always said lures were designed more to catch fishemen than fish anyway. Think about it. Fish don't carry wallets, fishermen do. Fish got no pockets. Bought a couple of new spinning rod combos and I am good to go.

I am in Houston this very morning. The weather is pleasant and Texans, in their natural habitat are quite friendly and hospitible. Get 'em out of Texas and they become a might hard to take, but when theey are at home you can't find a nicer bunch. Assuming of course you avoid the dark alleys and crack neighborhoods. But that's pretty much universal. Which reminds me...

Liberty call in Montego Bay, Jamacia was the most scaredest I've ever been in my adult life. Sorry Jamacia. Yes the beaches were white. Yes the sun was warm. And yes, those two girls came up danced with us, turned us on, then walked away, all without ever saying a word. But Yikes! All of that was surrounded by what can only be described as a giant crack neighborhood. There was no place that didn't look and feel like a bad neighborhood.

We could not get mail delivered because the consulate said that absolutely everything would be tampered with or stolen. Then the local guy comes on to give a port brief and, much to the chagrin of the Captian and XO, commenced to telling us in great detail where to find the drugs and prostitutes that he was sure we'd have a great time without. Our tech reps flew in from stateside and managed to go about 10 minutes on the beach before being lured into an lley an robbed. They wanted the ship to reimburse them their loss but the Chief Master at Arms, in a moment of raw beauty, replied, "We ain't gonna reimburse you (fornicators) nothin'! Get the hell outta here before I write your sorry (hienies) up for being too (fornicating) stupid to (fornicating) live." See, there are two basic themes you can draw from that story. A) Civilians had a certian sense of entitlement when working as tech reps for the government and, B) The good Chief was a firm believer in fornicating.

OK, I really got nothing. No seriously, nothing.


The kid will live and learn
As he watches his bridges burn
From the point of no return
Babylon sisters shake it

Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Blogger Red Queen said...

You are so right about fish having no pockets but they are sure good at picking yours. When we fish we use live shrimp- that gets expensive when the figure out how to suck that shrimp right off the hook and splash away without even a thank you.

About the not having anything to say- no prob- it never lasts too long with you- this I know from experience!! You will come back full force soon enough and we will all be amazed and awed- or atleast amused. Hugs to ya my friend.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Stop me if you've heard this one. Here goes:

"Two fellers are fishing in a boat under a bridge. One looks up and sees a funeral procession starting across the bridge. He stands up, takes off his cap, and bows his head. The procession crosses the bridge and the man puts on his cap, picks up his rod and reel, and continues fishing.

His fishing buddy says, "That was touching. I didn't know you had it in you."

The other guy responds, "Well, I guess it was the thing to do - after all, I was married to her for 40 years"

Ba-Da-Bing!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, I will make it a point to stay out of Jamaica. I can't afford to go there no ways. My brother told me the same thing about the Bahamas, a guy threatened him with a knife and then passed out.

Did you catch anything fishing?

11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home