Thursday, February 22, 2007

If you support them, then SUPPORT them

Welcome to Kentucky. The weather is colder than wanted and warmer than I expected. The fog, well, it was just a surprise. But I love the rolling hills and the rock fences. I have a nice room with full cable and a little Honda Accord to drive. This is my new home. For today and tomorrow, anyway.

Even if you don't fly often, how can you not know liquids are banned from going onto the concourse? You don't watch the news? You don't read papers? C'mon. And another thing. When was the last time you got anywhere by arguing with a poorly paid, uniformed agent of the government about a point of rules? I'm guessing never.

Ottoball was my boss for a while in Yokosuka. Then he became my friend. Now we're family. Anyway, he had to take off on the wife and kids again to play in the sandbox that is the middle east. He writes sometimes but I gather that for the most part being at a joint command in a tactical communications kind of role keeps him rather busy. I thought I'd give him a shout out via picture. He writes: ok brother, will write more later. here is a picture of me in AL FAW palace. sadaams old haunt in bahgdad. pretty cool. ottoball

A soldier recently said, "America is not at war. America is at the mall. The Army and Marine Corps are at war." I think that is fair enough. And when they do get all shot up, they come home to get patched up. So I may be way off the mark here, but I wonder if we couldn't all take the money we spent buying those stupid, stupid "I Support The Troops" stickers for our cars and send it off to Walter Reed Army Hospital? You know, to support their rehabilitation and all. The barracks there are, from what I can gather, falling down. Billions and billions spent, and.... Anyway, I don't give much charity, the creditors have seen to that, but I do still give my small contribution to the Navy Relief Society. I also give stuff to the Sisters of Mercy, although I'm not sure exactly what they do. But I think whatever it is, it's merciful.

Tomorrow night I fly to Phoenix where I will have all weekend off to cruise the country clubs and public golf courses in my attempt to meet Alice Cooper. You know, "She asked me why the singer's name was Alice. I said, listen Babe, you really wouldn't understand."

I get to go back up to New England on the 5th of March. An hour outside of Boston in Manchester, NH. Manchester, from what I have seen of it, promises to be a pretty quiet place. I'd say that I'll drive down to Boston to party a little, but I won't. I seldom travel far anymore.

Well, to the mall, out
Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, that sign should read Commonwealth Line, not State Line, but I'm anal about that sort of stuff.

Good point re all those I support the troops magnetic ribbons you see on vehicles. And that was a darned fine point the grunt made re America's at the mall. I guess it's gonna take a dirty bomb or some such to wake everyone back up, again. People are stupid, it's incredible the Republic has managed to survive this long.

A.G.T.

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point Ed,

I guess I need to research the Navy Relief Society, and similar organizations...

P.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My friends call it Man-Vegas...that said don't have too much fun. -Jn

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home