Saturday, February 17, 2007

If man evolved from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

Part of the deal when you are on up there in the frequent flyer club ranks is the understanding that by this point it is all about YOU. Shoot, I'm as big a fan of me as the next guy. My favorite part of the opera, besides when the curtian falls, is the part where they sing me, me, me, me... which I of course hear as you, you, you, you, which is to say that you saying you is going to be me to me. If you follow.

So, anyhow, since the miles have now posted on my most recent business jihad, I suppose this is safe to recount. I think that once they have posted, no matter how heinous my random act of kindness, they cannot be revoked. I may be wrong, but it is my belief. Like crunchy peanut butter. Or more precicely, my belief that crunchy peanut butter is the one true peanut butter and the creamy kind is just a pretender. I do, however, digress.

To get to Boston I went Tampa to Pittsburgh on a small jet and Pittsburgh to Boston on an even smaller jet. Wisconsin Air, so you know it was tiny. Anyway, I had a nice exit row window seat flying into Pittsburgh. No seat in front of me, so there was legroom forever. I was rather stoked. Towards the end of boarding, and this is most true, the Pitt women's basketball team boarded. They had been in Tampa whooping up on the USF gals.

One nice tall specimen of athletic femaledom, ebony of hue, sat down in our row's aisle seat. It was pretty amazing to watch, and even though I could have spoken up sooner and saved her the trouble, I was curious to see the actual event. The "event" being how she was gonna pretzel herself up enough to get into her seat. Knees touching nose, the whole schmiel. You'll be pleased to know that, limber as she was, she made it with minimal difficulty although she could not have been comfortable. I woulda thought that a major money making university, a Big East university at that, would spring for a little better transport for it's teams. Bet they do for the men's team.

Once she had settled in and whipped out some feminine drivel gossip and/or fashion magazine I asked her as sweetly as I could if she would like to trade seats. She took one look at the leg room, drooled, and whispered back a hearty "you betcha". Yep, Ramblin' Ed has a heart as soft as his head.
On the second flight, the one on the mighty Wisconsin Air miniature plane, I also swapped seats with a row mate. He was also feminine, though I do not believe female. He wanted to read and his overhead light did not work. Since there was either window or aisle, no middle seat, I saw no harm in hooking him up. He was grateful enough to read quietly and let me sleep.

So you can see my perdiciment. I try to be a decent guy, but I don't want to lose the miles. After all, I have endured the severest of numb butt to build up the status. That's my story for today. It woulda been longer but my typing (ie, typo-ing) stamina is not that of when I was young. Plus it's Saturday. Cartoons are still on!

You take my hand and I'll take your hand
together, we may get away, out
Ramblin' Ed

3 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you do it, R' Ed? I hated flying in the days even BEFORE random shoe checks and no aftershave in the carry-on. I can't begin to fathom the hassles involved in flying the friendly skies today.

Of course, if it pays good, I can cope with 'bout anything. :-)

No, that's a lie. I took early retirement because even though it was some awesome jack, I couldn't stand the job.

Sign me in as Other (aka A.G.T.)

10:24 AM  
Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

Ed, th good thing about flying allot is you get to eye some good looking women. The bad part is the stuff that the Gunner talked about. The next time you go through Atlanta's International Terminal, growl at the rude ladies for me.

1:05 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

And, fellas, the bad stuff gets MORE irritating the more you fly. I just get there way early, take my own sweet time going through the checkpoint, and request to see a supervisor if they start thinking that I am somehow their subordinate.

Some airports, D.C. (Dulles) and Philidelphia come to mind, have a seperate line for premium status frequent fliers. I take advantage of them when they are available, but they are pretty few and far between.

I talked to my boss and if they ever get around to setting up the preferred traveler program the company is going to pay for my enrollment. I can't wait.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home