Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Is there another word for synonym?

Okie-dokie. Two times. That's how many times I have ventured out in Boston. The first time I had to because I had to drive from Hertz to my hotel. Then I realize I can see the Hertz lot from here. So maybe I coulda took a taxi. Anyway, I was white knuckled after the first, and only, mile. Yesterday I had to drive to the home office in Woburn. Maybe 11 or 13 miles. I made it to the first stoplight before panic set in and I turned around. I had the hotel front desk reassure me that even though the traffic was fast and the roads totally, and I do mean totally confusing, if I kept to the right on 1A south I would indeed come to a $3 tunnel and would find I-93 just beyond. OK... they were right. I passed a bus with an ad for a local TV station. It said "More Drama Than Driving In Boston". Amen, brother bus.

I cme back and parked. To heck with the driving around here. Had the hotel shuttle take me to the top of the hill, an area called Orient Heights, where I went into a cigar store, purchased a nice Macanudo, and sat down with a cold beer. The area was originally an Italian neighborhood, and it still is heavily Italian, but the Colombians and Chinese are creeping in. Still, sitting there smoking with a table full of boisterous and profane Italians, smoking cigars, playing Keno, and "Ahhh Tony.... Ah'm jus bustin' yer balls a little" was fun. I felt like I was on the set of The Sopranos, in the Bada Bing's back room. Left there, ate some Chinese food, and hit a pub while I waited for the shuttle I had summoned back.

While there I learned that tonight and tomorrow we are expecting what will be my first ever nor'easter. Apparently I am in for wind (it's already ungodly cold without the added windchill, thank you very much), 3-6" of snow, followed by a delightful mix of sleet and/or rain. I already told the boss and the nice TSA man, if you want me, send a driver. I AIN'T DRIVING IN THAT SHIT!!

I had a TSA guy drive me back from where I am teaching in Chelsea (I have since learned that the a is silent and they find no amusement in mispronounciation) to the hotel in East Boston. I will have one evening this week socializing with my boss so I had the driver make a stop so I could pick up a fifth of Sailor Jerry's Rum. It is way good stuff, and we have navy ties. I am, of course, retired and his brother is a Rear Admiral at Submarine Group Pacific. So I went in, found it, purchased it and was done in less than 3 minutes. Recalling the bone chilling temperature I endured going in, and taking into account that my driver was just stopped in the street rather than being in an actual parking spot, I sprinted back to the car where my return was greeted with, "Jee-zuz Ed! Yah don't come runnin' outta a lickah stah in Boston!" My bad and point taken.

This Madonna statue (shrine?) is at the top of Orient Heights. Seems this will be the most enjoyable trip to date.I'll try to keep you posted.

4 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed,

as an official "old salt", I believe you might really enjoy a visit to Old Ironsides and her museum. She is moored in the Charles river, on the north bank near Bunker hill. That ship is probably the only reason I'd wish to return to Boston.

Pipedragger

9:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Friend Ed...I am in bean town at present or as close to it as I generally care to go. I know nothing about the city except that I can survive driving it and I get lost every time I try. I am glad I am not alone. When do you go back to warmer and less uptight parts? -Jn

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't envy you, R' Ed. I drove in that town once and have never been back. No regrets there whatsoever!

Other (aka A.G.T.)

8:02 PM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Jn - I am in Tampa. Bailed Tuesday evening as Florida boys prefer to view nor'easters from afar. Sorry.

Pipedragger - saw the old girl from the highway as I was racing to the airport from, of all places, Manchester, NH.

Gunner - I eventually get the knack. I just prefer NOT to be graceful or quiet as I go about it.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home