Sunday, January 14, 2007

The Burmese, The Chinese, and the Ill at Ease

I am not sure what I was thinking when I came up with that in September 1978. But that's about as far as I took it.

I just found an old spiral notebook from that time frame- 1977-79. In it I found, among other things, a 12 part story, each chapter made up of a different poem. Kinda like them old timey rock operas that The Who used to do. Anyhoo, will revisit some of the old stuff here over the next few days. And some of the stand alone stuff, too. Remember, I was in my teens, so some of the stuff isn't as sophisticated as it seemed to me at the time. Them's the breaks.

Like I said, I think I will publish some of it here. Let it see the light of day again. A little bit so that I can share it with you. It was a big ol, wide eyed, full throttle life back then. I had a sense of wonder and the duty to report on it. But mostly I'll post it for me. It brings me down old paths. It stirs up old friends and warm memories. I lets me hang out in my remember-whens. I like who I am. Hanging out with this old stuff lets me hang out with who I was, too. Who I was and who I am are very similar. But I get the biggest kick out of EdWas. He's such a young, foolish, and sometimes oh-so-serious little goober.

Chapter 6: Introspection

I thought I would write you this letter
just to tell you I made it OK
South of the border and staying with friends
and tracking down life on the way

I was wondering if you could make it
you know, being alone and all
All I have is my sense of humor
and that won't even pay for the call

I was seeing your face looking down from the clouds
telling me "time to come home"
I'm thinking I'm prob'ly my own best friend
And better off left alone

Please tell my daddy I miss him
I regret the indignities hurled
In his heart he was holding the answers
In his hand he was holding the world

Gypsy sons were born to wander
At least that's what I've heard them say
Aimlessly traipsing down any old road
and tracking down life on my way

Chapter 7: In Search of the Last Georgeous Cowgirl

I carefully built up my sandcastle dreams
and used popcicle sticks for the floor
I knighted a sandcrab and sent him to save
the beautiful princess next door

The sea took my castle a piece at a time
my knight scurried back to his hole
The princess decided the sea was her home
my kingdom was out of control

I sadly relinquished my crown and my throne
to a young man with dreams of a change
I rode off in search of the last gorgeous cowgirl
and visions of home on the range

I waded through legends and stumbled on clues
the cowgirl had left me behind
the townspeople laughed, she had never existed,
"We've pulled us a good one this time."

I carefully built up a sandcastle dream
then I wearily ventured inside
my castle was taken a piece at a time
and I rode out to sea on the tide.

I don't pity the time I have wasted and lost, out
Ramblin' Ed

1 comments:

Blogger Hill Billy Rave said...

That sign out was well put, Ed.

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home