Wednesday, January 03, 2007

So long, rabid little terrier


Been watching a movie called Searching for the Wrong Eyed Jesus. Musician Jim White leads director Andrew Douglas through the sometimes mysterious South. And oh how I love the deep south. If I could, I would roll it's swampy, sultry, slow moving, suspicious, rabble rousing, sin soaked, church going essence into one soft, suffocating cloth and wear it as my cape. I would live in the smells of the south. I would dance in the sounds of of the south. I would be the south and and celebrate myself. but... that's just me, I suppose.


We got us a new governor here in Florida, a state which is definately NOT part of the south. At least not around here. Finally got shut of Bush. Ol' Jeb. He wasn't bad as guv, really, just hardheaded as all get out. And like ol' W, once he got a hold of an idea, it didn't matter how misguided it proved to be, he'd just snarl and shake it and refuse to let go of it like some kind of rabid little terrier. He lost my confidence when he pursued the Terry Schavio thing. As did a lot of the local GOP. Hopefully Charlie Crist will be a little more inclusive. And a little less... not so much arrogant, but close to it. And pardon me this fear, but those who govern based on emotion and dogma rather than principle scare me more than a little. I am, like so many others who also defected the Grand Old Party, a fiscal conservative and a social liberal. My "representatives", unfortunately, were neither. Had to try to vote 'em out.

I was one o' them what stayed up to watch the Boise State - Oklahoma game the other day. Good googly-moogly! I am so glad that I did. Fun game, that one. And the two trick plays at the end were beautiful. Just beautiful.

'Bout time for conference play to start in college basketball. Oh yeah! I'm a round ball junkie. In years past I have always defended announcer Dick Vitale as being exuberent and truly in love with the college game. Every year, however, his schtick wears a little thinner and gets on my nerves just a little more. Like Joe Theisman in the football booth. This year, I think I don't really feel like listening to his "simple piasano" bit, but there he'll be, front and center for every big game, especially ACC and Big East games on ESPN.

Got the Christmas stuff down and put away on the 1st. It was raining a little, but I didn't want the job hanging around. Some folks say it should all stay up until the 7th, but not me. Once it hits New Year's, it's time to put the holidays behind us and get back to work. Sure, there's still football on, but the lazy, crazy, too stuffed to eat another bite days are done. Finito.

Okie Dokie. As usual, nothing to say. Getting ready to be on the road most of the rest of the month. I will have 3 days, including my birthday, home. I have to train a class of students from Mexico. Some here in the office were sweating if they (the Mexicans) had waited too long to commit to the training and might now have trouble getting into the country. Somehow, my fear of a Mexican not being able to get into the country is less than my fear that he won't be able to find his way out again. And that I'll have to buy him a driver's license and pay for his child's education. But again, maybe that's just me.


The night's all that's left behind
So you keep your part and I'll keep mine
Go on home, it's closing time, out
Ramblin' Ed

0 comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home