Sunday, March 04, 2007

With a few friends and a can of mace

The gate area of Las Vegas as I was transferring from Phoenix back to Tampa.
My feets in The Valley of the Sun. Well, in a room in a hotel in the Valley of the Sun.

My car on the outskirts of town. Viva la unlimited miles.


Headed out of Scottsdale.

I bought a new Toshiba laptop (number 6) on Friday. It's a Satellite U205-S5057, which I only add because I know Gunner will take the time to look it up. Anyway, I have spent the last two days pulling crap off (McAffee,Microsoft Works,etc.) and putting stuff like RoboForm, Zone Alarm, AVG, WinPatrol, and Opera on.

I was ready to upgrade to a dual processor for starters. I was ambivilent about Vista. But mostly, with all of this domestic travel and its attendant security checkpoints, I wanted a new Toshiba because of these two features: 1) Small and lightweight, and this one is both. And 2) Hardware and software hard drive protection. Seriously, a laptop really gets banged about on the road. So anyway, I got it. I customized it. And now I am blogging on it.

I am off to New Hampshire tomorrow. I hope to see the boss for dinner in Boston one night, see the movie Pan's Labyrinth on another, and see the movie Black Snake Moan on another. Yes siree Bob, I am one hell raising dude in my old age, huh?
Day 2: Electric kool-aid, hell. THIS was a bad trip! It started out easily enough. It was a leisurely putt down to Tampa International. Flight went well. Arrived Washington-Dulles in a little over two hours. Realized I had a 4 hour layover so I did what any good squid would do and went to sleep. Woke up 45 min before the flight, noticed that the kiosk was not manned so I checked the board for a gate change. Eeeeek! The flight was cancelled. As I turned, I noticed the line backed up and out of Customer Service Center. Grab cell and call Corporate Travel. Bingo, I can fly to Boston, grab a car and drive up to Manchester. Good enough. Dang, flight does not leave for an additional 5 hours. Re-get re-comfortable. Wait. Wait. Doze. Wait.
Board flight. Bored flight. Arrive Boston. Very cold. Start driving. On highway and realize that headlights do not illuminate road. Serious bummer. Check engine light comes on in a deserted stretch. Mentioned that it was cold yet? It was. Very.
Can't see the road. Worried about the engine. But only 30 miles to go. Must push on. Worst is behind me, right? Right!? Where the hell did all this snow come from. Aw Jeez!! The headlights sure illuminate that well enough. Cold, tired, already only driving 45 mph and now this... the flurries are making me dizzy. Hmmm... this somewhat sucks. Good a time as any to mention the fact that they lost my bag. Gotta work tomorrow and I am in jeans. And unshaven. And covered, apparently, in cat fur. The fur is a longish story. So trust me.
The story goes on. Doesn't get much better. I survived. Made me stronger. Blah, blah, blah.
I have never been this cold, by the way. I guess the temp is in the single digits with gusty wind making it feel like 20 or 30 below. Anything below 30 is just too freaking cold. I don't bother with enumeration after that. Just shiver and cuss. A lot. Static electricity zapped me everytime I touched the computer in class today, which was over 180 times as I had to manually advance the slides. about 30 of thos 180+ finger zapping slides did not cause me to curse audibly. The rest did.
Had to gas the rental so I could exchange it for one with less action in the SERVICE ENGINE warning light department. Gave me a Ford Escape. Dang, I don't care much for SUV type cars. But whatever. Pumping gas, my hands felt frostbitten before I got the AmEx swiped good. Brrrr! and, just for good measure, sumbitch! Choose payment method. OK, credit. Do I want a car wash? What? No! Do I want a reciept? Yes!! But what I want more is for you to ask less freaking questions, spit out some doggone gas, and leave me alone to put my poor ol' hands back in my coat pockets. Why am I being interrogated by a gas pump, anyway?
This story too goes on and on. I survived. Got a dose of character. Blah, blah, yada, blah.
Tired of typing, even though they aren't real sentences. They're more semi-entences. Yeah, buddy. Leave you with a quote from that punkabilly himself, Hank Williams III:
If the shoe fits wear it
If the truth hurts, bear it
That's the kind of life I'm living, and I plan on living long... OUT,
Ramblin' Ed

4 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the Corporate Road Warrior, that be you, R' Ed. And again, I think it's time to drop the Ramblin' from the blog title and go back to Traveling Ed.

Will comment on your new toy later.

Did I ever tell the one about how the folks at minor maintenance changed the vehicle ready line to the incoming line and I didn't want to walk from the Club to the hootch and went and borrowed a deuce and a half (which I thought was "ready" to go) and put that hummer into a klong when I stepped on the brakes and there wasn't any brakes. Thereby busting my nose on the steering wheel, crumpling the right front fender, running back to the hootch (I was inebriated at the time), dodging the APs (Air Policemen), and then the boys in the body shop fixed it the next morning before the accident investigator showed up?

No?

Okay, remind me sometime and I'll tell that one.

A.G.T. who has given up ever signing into the new blogger again.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see the new laptop has a spill-resistant keyboard. That's definitely a plus with a laptop.

Vista? Phwwwt! Like Duran told the referee, "No mas, no mas." That's my attitude re Vista or whatever Microsoft flogs. I'll go Linux before I give them another dime. But, I know you have to travel and haven't time for learning new operating systems. So let us know what you think of Vista after you've hacked around on it for a bit. Don't forget the firewall (Jettico is an excellent free one).

A.G.T.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought something didn't look quite right.

There's only 1 "t" in JETICO

9:30 AM  
Blogger Ramblin' Ed said...

Thanks a lot. Will check out Jetico. Zone Alarm does not work with Vista yet. Hadn't figured out what I was going to use.

5:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home