Thursday, August 02, 2007

Of Lizards and their Wanderlust

OK, I don't normally tell people what to do. Really, it's not in my genetic make-up. But seriously, folks, you gotta enlarge these git bigger photos as you go along. Otherwise you're just going through the motions. And we both know you're better than that, right?

So I was fishing and the lizard was with us. He comes with us often. I tink he lives in the boat and hasn't figured out that when we move it and hook it up to the Jeep that we're heading out. He comes out and basks in the sun. I think he takes our little fishing excursions to be his own little private walkabout. Silly lizard, trips are for squids.


Sunning hisself. Whistling a really old sea chanty. Where the heck did he learn that?? And even more importantly, is that little bugger mocking me? Hey lizard boy... You don't cast a very big shadow for one who thinks he's so bad. "Well, fisher boy, I wouldn't say I'm bad... but bad people don't mess with me."


And then, taking me totally by surprise, he bailed on the boat. "Jesus!", I said. partly out of surprise and partly because who knew lizards could walk on water like that. Dangdest thing. A part of me thought how cool it would be for a largemouth to explode out of the water on him, but another part of me just sat there in slack jawed amazement. Zzzzzip up on to a water plant and he was free. (All that was missing was a little tiny bandana full of his lizard stuff tied up on the end of a stick on his shoulder. Little claw thumb in the air, hitching a ride to anywhere man... anywhere but here. So long buttholeville, don't wait up.) Then he headed up on to the shore and disappeared. Maybe he's happier now. Or maybe a snake ate him. Hard to say. Even harder to account for a lizard's wanderlust.

This place was so cool. I didn't stop in though. Too many white people.

I got stopped by a pollster who was old and needed dental work and asked to watch two Quizno's commercials and answer a few questions afterward about my opinions. I said sure. It took a couple five or seven minutes and when I was done they gave me a ten dollar bill. I walked across the way and found that a cold Guiness draft was a mere five dollars. So I had two. Thanks Quizno's. Wish I had had kinder things to say. (Note: When you git bigger this picture be sure to check out the sunbeam in the bottom of the glass. Now how cool is that!)

In Quincy Market getting me a little eyeball liberty. The shadows, of course, make me all the more mysterious.

Some kind of fully loaded goober-mobile.

This building is so cool. Looks like a crown.

Chalk hearts on the asphalt.

I got my tab at The Point. It was just me and the bartender girl. We had talked about, of all things, outside porch decks and marble bathrooms. I don't know how I get in the conversations that I do. When I went to pay my tab I said, "If I'm reading this correctly, your name is Pinkring?" "No, it's Celeste. But I do like your pink ring."

So I arrived at the Woburn bus station. It was a beautiful summer day so I figured I'd hoof it the mile or so on down to my office. I hadn't gotten out of the bus station parking lot before I passed this pair of ladies panties laying in the grass beside the sidewalk. Uh-huh. I see. Gonna be one of them kind of days. A few blocks later I found a quarter. I do believe, however, that the two finds were unrelated. At least I hope so.

2 comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Guiness... I still remember the taste of it. Good choice, Ed.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Gun Trash said...

Hells-Bells... How did I miss the goobermobile!?

What is that thing?

Does everyone pedal or just that poor schmuck with the ballcap?

There are no hills on his route, is there? I can't imagine pedalling them touristas up a hill.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home